Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #1

Too dumb for K-X video recording

First I have to say, I know I'm the source of the problem, but still, I think something better could be done.

Am I the only one who missed some good memories by thinking that it was recording but in fact it wasn't? I mean, if I switch to video and press the shutter button, the K-X clicks and clacks it's mirror and then I point the scene and focus manually. When all is over, I press the shutter again and the red REC icon starts to flash!!!!

I know if I take time to let the video mode "settle" before pressing the shutter it works, but in the middle of the action, I don't think about this. It really pisses me off because I missed a couple of very good moments with my daughter. I even had a series of videos that were just the in between good moments!!!

I would like to see an obvious icon when it's not recording, or maybe you guys have a better way of dealing with this. I never had any problem like this before with another camera.

06-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess that the fact that the K-x is a DSLR, and not a dedicated video camera, is to blame for this. I'm sure that Pentax will continue making improvements in their future bodies, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I have to agree with Adam. For the price, I can hardly complain about the video capabilities since it is a great DSLR first and foremost. I wonder if the K-7 has the same problem. Before the K-x, I had a Canon HF100 HD camcorder and it was really intuitive in terms of operation, but you had to go through hell and back to deal with the AVCHD coding (something that I don't have to kill myself over with the K-x). There's pros and cons, but I definitely like having the K-x more than I did my HF100 because I take a lot more pictures than videos.
06-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

that's why I'm sticky with my compact DC for video recording.

06-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, done the exact same thing with my K7. You expect the shutter release to take the picture or start recording. I just hope I remember that little extra step next time I need to use video.
06-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Banned

You would have to be blind not to know the K-7 is recording in video mode.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB67azxBZg[/yt]
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had the same problem, but now I tend to make sure i'm recording before hand. But i do wish it would just record on first click every time.

06-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVB67azxBZg[/yt]
That rabbit is making me hungry.
06-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow
I just try my K-X in video mode. They work very similar to an video camera

First click start ,second click stop

When you record REC in red is showing and the red light on the black is flashing. When you click again, red light go off but live view is still available like any video camera

Simple and easy
06-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Wow

When you record REC in red is showing and the red light on the black is flashing. When you click again, red light go off but live view is still available like any video camera

Simple and easy
The real problem is that if you don't click down far enough you engage the pre recording autofocus function, which makes the shutter open and close, so when you're going quick you might not notice that you didn't actually start recording.
06-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Are you always such an ass or do you just want us to look at your lens?
06-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Wow

When you record REC in red is showing and the red light on the back is flashing. When you click again, red light go off but live view is still available like any video camera

Simple and easy
Can't be any easier.
06-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
Can't be any easier.
It's true, but the red light is hidden by the thumb on K-X, and the red rec is at the very bottom of the screen, my attention is at the center, on the subject and on the focusing.
Like I said, I know that I should be aware of what's going on, but on the other hand it's nice to know i'm not the only one that had the problem.
06-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Are you always such an ass or do you just want us to look at your lens?
06-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Forum Member

Damn, you apparently can't admit to making a simple mistake on this forum without being inadvertently called retarded.