Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Short Movie - Robot Warriors + Discussion on DSLR for Video

So, upfront I will say, this is not shot on my Pentax K-x. I still hope you will watch it and enjoy it. However, I did want to discuss the reason why I didn't use my K-x for this and perhaps talk about how long until we will be able to use a DSLR to do this type of video.

So clearly the biggest reason why I can't do this with a DSLR is slow auto focus, however the jello effect is also pretty bad on most DSLR when doing stuff like this. While I don't think there is a need for DOF in a video like this, it would still be nice to have the other advantages of a DSLR when shooting a video like this.

What are your thoughts about the video or my discussion question?

06-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tiny Quote

So clearly the biggest reason why I can't do this with a DSLR is slow auto focus, however the jello effect is also pretty bad on most DSLR when doing stuff like this. While I don't think there is a need for DOF in a video like this, it would still be nice to have the other advantages of a DSLR when shooting a video like this.

What are your thoughts about the video or my discussion question?
Well perhaps it could have or should have been shot with a DSLR. I understand the amount of effort that went into this but in my opinion you could have cut it to half it's length and not lost any of the story. A DSLR without auto focus might force some thought towards why something should or shouldn't be shot or included. I'm guilty of this too, "I shot it so I must use it."
06-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is a very good point, and I notice when I do something more serious, I am very picky about setting up the shot, and in general, don't shoot as much because of the required effort.

In this case, there wasn't much to tell, more of us just coming up with a few goofy scenes to get from point A:Robot encounter, to point B: Robot destroying us.