Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #91

Setting shutter speed works!

What I wrote above is FALSE! The latest firmware did not take away the shutter speed control. Because the new firmware added apperture control, the method described by the OP will only work if in the menu\video setting you switch apperture control from "fixed" to "auto". Then the lock will stay on when you switch from user mode to video mode. You'll be able to lock-in the needed aperture, shutter speed and iso values.

06-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by dedmozaj Quote
What I wrote above is FALSE! The latest firmware did not take away the shutter speed control. You'll be able to lock-in the needed aperture, shutter speed and iso values.
Can anybody else confirm this? I am planning to buy a K-7, to know this would be important for me.

Thanks, iggy
06-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #93

QuoteOriginally posted by dedmozaj Quote
What I wrote above is FALSE! The latest firmware did not take away the shutter speed control. You'll be able to lock-in the needed aperture, shutter speed and iso values.
Can anybody else confirm this? I plan to purchase a K-7, it would be important for me to know that this really works.

Thanks
iggy
06-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iggy08 Quote
Can anybody else confirm this? I plan to purchase a K-7, it would be important for me to know that this really works.

Thanks
iggy
confirm.... I update to the latest firmware and this trick still works.

Lee

08-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #95

I don't think this 'trick' is locking the shutter speed, it might be locking the EV, but so does hitting the AE-L button in movie mode...

The reasoning...

Take an absurd shutter speed and lock it, eg 30s then make a movie of a CRT TV. It works but shouldn't.
Try 1/8000, again it works but isn't visibly choppy.

Try viewing a CRT at movie mode 30fps, then change mode to 25fps. You'll note that in one mode the CRT TV will flicker, in the other it won't, this is because your tv will be displayed at the other frame rate.

Therefore the only thing that gets 'fixed' is the Av and the ISO at the chosen EV when the AE-L button was pressed. Shutter is fixed by the firmware.

If anyone can post a video that proves a variation in shutter speed, that would be great. Something such as a waterfall showing blurred and then sharp water droplets would be great!

Ben
08-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #96

Never mind, I have decided I am wrong....

I had a play with my Panasonic Video Camera which allows full manual control of Aperture and Shutter Speed. Shutter Speed is fixed at a minimum 1/50 and droplets falling from the gutters are blurred, cranked up to 1/3000 the drops are defined and sharp - max shutter is 1/8000.

Took the K5 out and if I AE-L while metering off the sky then go back to the droplets, same deal drops are sharp, AE-L on a darker scene and drops blur.

Please disregard my previous post lol

Ben
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I am trying to engage this with a manual aperture lens, which shows up as a k mount lens. Any attempts to make this trick work fail. I've made sure aperture is set to auto in the menu. Is the problem that it doesn't know the aperture? Shooting video works fine, just can't seem to get any kind of lock to cary over. It would be nice to at least lock iso if I could.

03-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know, with an old manual K mount lens with an aperture lever, the aperture is always wide open when mounted on the camera. What do work is an old preset M42 lens with adapter, as there is no lever that causes the aperture to stay open and you can change the aperture while shooting. I also took an old Vivitar 70-150mm lens, removed the aperture ring ball and the aperture lever, which means silent aperture change while shooting (no clicking of the ball in the ring), and at the same time smooth, in focus zoom with the push-pull zoom. I'm sure you can find an old lens and make the minor changes to it. I do not shoot much video, but can't see why it won't work as I described.
03-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From my testing it stops down with a km lens, so you can make full use of the aperture ring while shooting. Also I was able to get exposure lock to carry over an a ka lens.