Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dom777 Quote
Does this still work with firmware 1.10?
I guess there's a mission for you to find it out.

07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #32
Forum Member

It still works with 1.10
UPDATE: So I've had more time to check out the new firmware. Must say, I am greatly disappointed. It now seems 100%, that Pentax will not release manual mode movie recording to the K-7, they are keeping it for the next cameras to drive it's sales more. It is sad. But more about the 1.10 firmware:
- As told you earlier, the manual mode "hack" still works thankfully
- Maybe a little less noisy at ISO400, haven't checked out ISO800 yet
- Movie editor makes the camera feel like a little toy. I mean, it is great addition, but I thought such a thing only exists in P&S.
- I think LV AF when the shutter is halfway down is a bit annoying when recording movies, but probably a nice addition, again, a little bit P&S.
My feeling is that Pentax is trying to push the K-7 closer to the K-x instead of making it more pro-level.
Sorry, these are my thought on the new firmware. Probably true Pentaxians will again, hate me.
One more thing: The only addition I did like is the reversal film mode. But, for those who color afterwards, it is simple non-usable. So after Pentax made a lot of workshops about DSLR filmmaking, made a short with it, made their own commercial with it, still failed to bring in the one and most important thing for the amateur filmmaker: manual controls for movie editing. :-(

UPDATE 2: So, even more play. I see some noticeable improvement with low light ISO when using Muted color mode. Just turn the High/Low Key Adj down. Could anyone confirm this?

Last edited by dande; 07-29-2010 at 03:00 PM.
07-30-2010, 05:11 AM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
It still works with 1.10
UPDATE: So I've had more time to check out the new firmware. Must say, I am greatly disappointed. It now seems 100%, that Pentax will not release manual mode movie recording to the K-7, they are keeping it for the next cameras to drive it's sales more. It is sad. But more about the 1.10 firmware:
- As told you earlier, the manual mode "hack" still works thankfully
- Maybe a little less noisy at ISO400, haven't checked out ISO800 yet
- Movie editor makes the camera feel like a little toy. I mean, it is great addition, but I thought such a thing only exists in P&S.
- I think LV AF when the shutter is halfway down is a bit annoying when recording movies, but probably a nice addition, again, a little bit P&S.
My feeling is that Pentax is trying to push the K-7 closer to the K-x instead of making it more pro-level.
Sorry, these are my thought on the new firmware. Probably true Pentaxians will again, hate me.
One more thing: The only addition I did like is the reversal film mode. But, for those who color afterwards, it is simple non-usable. So after Pentax made a lot of workshops about DSLR filmmaking, made a short with it, made their own commercial with it, still failed to bring in the one and most important thing for the amateur filmmaker: manual controls for movie editing. :-(

UPDATE 2: So, even more play. I see some noticeable improvement with low light ISO when using Muted color mode. Just turn the High/Low Key Adj down. Could anyone confirm this?

Don't worry...ALL the really PENTAXIAN' can only be ANGRY...in europe we have 25P not 30P...and this is really a little work for the BIG ONE YELLOW PENTAX JAP to make on the firmware.... BUT STIL NOT MAKE!!! like the remoste assistant software...only one little update for the k7 , not ?! NO! you think is a lto of work and energy ?! no...is only PENTAX!!!!
EVERY BODY must know the true... mediocr product...many say good , ok...BUT WITH OUT ANY SUPPORT!!!! ANY SOFTWARE!! ANY FORUM UFFICIAL!!! ANY ANSWER EMAIL OF CUSTOMERS!!!!! and you like to say that's we must be lucky of "pentax" ?!? 25P and iso controll on video mode...ONLY IF YOU PAY the next model ?!? ok...I BUY CANON and I say in EVERY SITE , don't buy any more PENTAX!!!!

new firmware options ?! really ridicollus...many time for have what NOBODY have ask!!! if I like play with the NINTENDO DS , i buy a nintendo not a reflex!!! thats'all !

"CUT" option... !!!!
07-31-2010, 05:49 AM   #34

jimiz - it's pointless being "ANGRY" at Pentax about lack of 25P. They never advertized 25P, and they never promised it as a firmware update. If 25P is important to you, why on earth would you invest in a camera that doesn't offer that feature?

07-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimiz Quote
Don't worry...ALL the really PENTAXIAN' can only be ANGRY...in europe we have 25P not 30P...and this is really a little work for the BIG ONE YELLOW PENTAX JAP to make on the firmware.... BUT STIL NOT MAKE!!! like the remoste assistant software...only one little update for the k7 , not ?! NO! you think is a lto of work and energy ?! no...is only PENTAX!!!!
EVERY BODY must know the true... mediocr product...many say good , ok...BUT WITH OUT ANY SUPPORT!!!! ANY SOFTWARE!! ANY FORUM UFFICIAL!!! ANY ANSWER EMAIL OF CUSTOMERS!!!!! and you like to say that's we must be lucky of "pentax" ?!? 25P and iso controll on video mode...ONLY IF YOU PAY the next model ?!? ok...I BUY CANON and I say in EVERY SITE , don't buy any more PENTAX!!!!

new firmware options ?! really ridicollus...many time for have what NOBODY have ask!!! if I like play with the NINTENDO DS , i buy a nintendo not a reflex!!! thats'all !

"CUT" option... !!!!
What on earth are you going on about? please draft your messages carefully before posting.
07-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #36
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Coby Quote
jimiz - it's pointless being "ANGRY" at Pentax about lack of 25P. They never advertized 25P, and they never promised it as a firmware update. If 25P is important to you, why on earth would you invest in a camera that doesn't offer that feature?
ofcourse, never PENTAX have promised ASSISTENT REMOTE, ANY ANOTHER SOFTWARE, ANY NEW OPTIONS on VIDEO MODE , ecc..ecc..AND OFCOURSE ALSO THE 25 P ... but... you think is something to be HAPPY ?!?
what we talking? about a cheap camera founf in the CHIPS ?! or meaby of a "big" name....PENTAX , where I and many anothers we have pay 1250 EURO jannuary 2010 , for the BEST pentax model : K7... eh?!
Ok...and If you buy the elite model...you not think you belive in little support also without promise ?! for me..and 100000 anothers...for example, assistent remote , was at 1000% only a little problem of time...SURE in 2-3 moths all we haved the update also for this software...
NOW I knlw NEVER we see ... like never sure we see a update of firmware with the really 2-3 options what WE really needit.
I can understand all...also the hardwares limiti of the K7.. but I can't udnerstand THIS "business" of pentax...and also WHO say I'm "stupid"...
The true si only that...MANY who have spend AGAIN many money for the k7 Pentax...sure NEVER give 1 euro more at pentax.

I remember the USA user's that PENTAX self also in europe , and with P30...we not have many lucky... 30p to 25p convert are REALLY BAD.
So for "princip" I have belive, meaby 25P we become...litte later , but we become.

Sorry I belive to much...that's right, I'm stupid... k100 , k10...k7...OK, meaby is really time to change , where for the same price, you have MANY ; MANY MORE!

I repeat...CUT edit.... super new firmware options LIKE nintendo NDS!

PS...bad english my...but never bad like WHO don't like to understand.
07-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #37
Forum Member

Sorry jimiz, but I don't really get you. Why on earth do you demand 25P? I live in Europe, and I have found yet no drawbacks of the 30P only the fact that it isn't 24P "cinema" mode, but to be honest, it is something I think a bit overreacted (sorry C. W).
Just go out, take nice pictures, shoot great movies, you can. If it was possible with a 8mm camera, it is certainly possible with a K-7.

07-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #38

Or trade your K-7 for a 24P K-x, and conform your footage to 25P with Cineform.
08-04-2010, 07:04 AM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dande Quote
Sorry jimiz, but I don't really get you. Why on earth do you demand 25P? I live in Europe, and I have found yet no drawbacks of the 30P only the fact that it isn't 24P "cinema" mode, but to be honest, it is something I think a bit overreacted (sorry C. W).
Just go out, take nice pictures, shoot great movies, you can. If it was possible with a 8mm camera, it is certainly possible with a K-7.
because IF you like make a dvd (25 frames is STANDAR 50i o 25P)
the "fluidity" of the 30P can't be replicate...
30P > 25P = little more slow...and this is not a BIG problem...BUT every second you have a big JUMP.. evident on Pans and moviments obyects , person ecc... also are move slowl...

I try many different's "sets" & "config"...and i'v see the best result I have with VEGAS...also because ONLY vegas can make a project with 30P fix (not 29..but 30 FULL frames x sec. , yoiu can select them custom..) all the anothers programs (premiere, edius,ecc..ecc..) can open project with NTSC standar , SD o HD..like ofcourse 29,97 frames x sec , named also 30P..but thereis not the "FULL" 30 P what have the k7 .

BUT unfortunatly..also with the best mode on VEGAS... the "jump" every second (30P > 25P) you see much!

I'v read something about convert 25P to 24 P and later again to 25P...
but how many RE-compression's must have the native video ? and ofcourse , all this work HAVE thesame "FLUIDITY" of the native 30P or also "JUMP" ?

If pentax "LIKE" give us the 25 P... I think ALL the EU (and not only) USERS can say THANKS...because avery body can ofcourse take a movie with 30P IF he like...but WHO like later put all on DVD can be the BEST way...
no coversion , more quality, and ofcourse no JUMPS...

the question is... IF that is not a BIG work for pentax, to adj. on a new firmware, why say... "MMMH...JIMIZ IF YOU DON'T LIKE PENTAX CHANGE ..." ?!?
that's have really no sense... but IF you are happy to became NOTHING of pentax , buy pentax.

PS...REMOTE ASSISTANT a big usefull program, where CANON have also of anothers SOFTWARE houses (BREEZE) , used in MANY professional shops and foto nature equipment...and more... YOU think pentax have made a BIG thing fot the k7 users to give not any update , but olny for k20 users?

Yes you knowthat before buy the k7...but THIS is all what you can say for DEFENCE the PENTAX "politcy".... sorry but these answers is like climb on mirrors... for me are really bad , and this IS "publicity - spot".

PS..CINE FORM is not a free porgram of PENTAX.JAP for the k7 users...sorry...
08-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #40

Then use Virtualdub and Avisynth, which are freeware.
08-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Then use Virtualdub and Avisynth, which are freeware.
yes , ofcourse...
but onlky if I need BIG JUMPS every second (30P > 24/25P)
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #42

Alternatively, you could learn how to use those programs correctly.
08-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Alternatively, you could learn how to use those programs correctly.
You can also explain HERE (not ONLY for me..) how CONVERT a k7 VIDEO to 25 P and not LOSE quality and ofcourse with NOT JUMPS every second in any PAN or move objects inside.

30 - 5 = 25 , but the 5 frames PRO SECOND you must "cut"... how you can cut without see the jump ? vegas, cineform , premiere, in all the mode...can't make it , IF you can tell how, I think you make a big please to many ,and you are sure a WIZARD!

for now we can only say AND SEE converts in 25/24P are really disatrousy and never fluidity...never NICE like the 30P native.

But the best IS do nothing about PENTAX.JAP ...thet can make in ONE SECOND a option like 24 and 25P inside a new firmware...
THIS is normaly , what you must say and ask ...not a HALF sotware solution , only for not say anything bad to pentax!!!!
08-07-2010, 02:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimiz Quote
You can also explain HERE (not ONLY for me..) how CONVERT a k7 VIDEO to 25 P and not LOSE quality and ofcourse with NOT JUMPS every second in any PAN or move objects inside.

30 - 5 = 25 , but the 5 frames PRO SECOND you must "cut"... how you can cut without see the jump ? vegas, cineform , premiere, in all the mode...can't make it , IF you can tell how, I think you make a big please to many ,and you are sure a WIZARD!

for now we can only say AND SEE converts in 25/24P are really disatrousy and never fluidity...never NICE like the 30P native.

But the best IS do nothing about PENTAX.JAP ...thet can make in ONE SECOND a option like 24 and 25P inside a new firmware...
THIS is normaly , what you must say and ask ...not a HALF sotware solution , only for not say anything bad to pentax!!!!

Jimiz can you please stop posting, your posts make absolutely no sense and you aren't contributing anything of value to the conversation.
08-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #45

jimiz, my advice was to use Cineform, or freeware, to convert 24P from the K-x to 25P. Thats simply a 4% retime plus a tweak of the audio rate. Cineform does it in one step, the freeware in two. The process is essentially lossless and certainly not "jumpy".

Converting 30P to 25P isn't really feasible, which is why you shouldn't have bought the K7.