Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #1

Video compression ?

Hello !

I've been trying to edit my video clips in Adobe Premiere Elements, a software I have always used for my video shootings.

I recently bought the Pentax K-X and the AVI clips file sizes are very large and for the first time it really runs slowly when I try to edit them in my software... making it very difficult to do anything adequately.

Is there a way to convert the files to something less consuming withot losing too much detail ?

Thank you !

06-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I'm in line waiting for that answer too.
06-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

If you have plenty of disk space, consider converting to an avi using the free Lagarith lossless codec (Google it) - high quality and it will edit easily, but the file sizes are large.

Once the codec is installed, you should be able to export to avi from PE, and select lagarith as your compression.
06-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Forum Member

There are several options
Try Avidemux Avidemux - Downloads

or
Virtualdub Downloads - virtualdub.org

both of them give you many option

07-01-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't use Adobe Premiere but if it is like other editors, you usually can covert it to an intermediate editing format. You'll have to read the manual to find out what it likes. This will no doubt increase the file size even more but it lets you manipulate the video without degrading it and usually speeds up the edits. Typically you transcode to an editing format if you expect to do a lot of manipulation to your video.

Another issue may simply be editing 720p for the first time? How much memory and powerful is your computer?
07-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello,

No, it's not the first time. But It's my first time with MJPEG. I used to edit HD clips from quicktime files.

I tried AvideMux but I'm not sure which settings to use. I encoded with Xvid and the file was on the contrary VERY compressed (1/4) buuut.. I still thought the quality remained good. So, I thought it would simply run faster in APE but I was wrong.. it's still very slow. So I just decided to play the clips externally in windows player which run better (but still sometimes it jumps) and decide which time to cut them.

My computer is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 4200+ 2.21 GHZ with 2 gig of RAM with a ATI Radeon X1950 Pro.