Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
how are you doing external audio input?

How are you getting external audio into your K7?

Are you using something like:

Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter/Preamp: Buy Direct and Save from juicedLink

or

BeachTek DXA-SLR Active DSLR Adapter

or something as simple as

Pearstone - LMT100 - Low to High Impedance Matching - 8111240 -

If you have a KX, how are you capturing and syncing audio? Specifically regarding 24fps to 29.97 frame rates, like mentioned here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-forum/97504-pentax-k-x-exter...ml#post1003305
I'm assuming the audio device records at a "normal" 29.97. You guys just using a video editing program like final cut to sync, or audio program like soundtrack pro?

Slinky

Last edited by mediaslinky; 07-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's very simple With a RØde stereo video mike. Just plug it in and go. About $149.00
07-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What about an XLR input? Anyone doing that? I would like to be able to take any pro audio signal into the camera.
07-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Banned

I also use a stereomic from Rode. The system your showing is very interesting because it gives you the possability to use two (or more) mono directional mic's wich are far more better in quality then the single stereomic (wich is also very good).

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9LYeeZaP8[/YT]

07-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
What about an XLR input? Anyone doing that? I would like to be able to take any pro audio signal into the camera.
The first two options the OP posted both have XLR inputs.

But none of these options, as far as I can tell, solve the problem that the camera controls the gain for the final sound. I have the Rode stereomic, and it's great, and the audio quality is great, but it still just goes into the camera where the gain is automatically controlled. It seems like all of these options, regardless of what sort of pre-amping, mixing and levels control they give, still then hand it all over to the camera, which is auto gain.

I know alot of people are going for totally external sounds recorders, and then just syncing it in post. That way you have complete control.
07-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
You can buy a XLR to mini 1/8 adapter or a cable with XLR on one end and mini 1/8 connector on the other to connect to your camera. Synchronizing audio recorded on something like a field recorded in the video editor can be done with a simple clapper at the start of each shot.
07-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So you are saying something like this: Pearstone - LMT100 - Low to High Impedance Matching - 8111240 -

I agree that should work, just looking for actual testimonial of someone doing similar with K7. Does the level match well? sound good?

Any horror stories with syncing 24fps and the Kx with external audio recorders? Any things to watch out for?

Thus far it doesn't seem like many people are shooting with an XLR into a Pentax . Plenty adding external shotguns to recorders. if i am going to do an interview with a lav mic, I'm going to need to convert it from XL to mini mic input. its just reassuring to know from people that do it how they do it well.

07-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't understand where this 24fps is coming from. I have 5 XLR mics. I've never bothered to hook them up to my K-7 but I don't see a problem doing it. I use my XH-A1 with its two XLR inputs when I want to go that route.
07-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
It's very simple With a RØde stereo video mike. Just plug it in and go. About $149.00
Who sells the Rode Stereo VideoMic for $149 ?
07-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Who sells the Rode Stereo VideoMic for $149 ?
Right here, for one
07-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I don't understand where this 24fps is coming from. I have 5 XLR mics. I've never bothered to hook them up to my K-7 but I don't see a problem doing it. I use my XH-A1 with its two XLR inputs when I want to go that route.
KX only shoots 24fps. "Video" is normally 29.97 or drop frame. I have never shot in 24fps. I have never edited anything shot in 24fps in final cut, so I don't know if a 24fps video has any tripwires when syncing external audio. This is really less a question about audio with a KX and more about any 24fps video and audio sync, since there's no external timecode.

I do a lot of interview videos. I need to be able to hook up a pro lav (sometimes just need to take a feed off the sound board). All of ours output to an XLR. As you can see from the first post, there are all kinds of components people sell to help you match a balanced XLR signal to an unbalanced mini plug.

Just looking to see what experience people have had.

The stuff about the shotguns and stereo mics is great info.
07-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I shoot 24fps with my XH-A1 all the time. Don't worry. You can record your sound on a field recorder and sync it if you use a clapper technique. Or a portable mixer for video where the XLRs go into into it and the output via mini 1/8 to the K-X. The K-X is not sophisticated enough to have embedded SMPTE time codes. Which brings up the question. I assume you're doing interviews as a hobby; otherwise, a "real" ENG video camera with video/audio time syncing is what ENG/TV/News people use.

Last edited by tuco; 07-09-2010 at 01:52 PM.
07-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to know about the 24fps sync.

I didn't think the KX had an external audio input, just the K7... ?

It's not a hobby, video work is an aspect of my job. I work at a large church. We have a big Sony HD XDCAM ENG set up that can do all the timecode sync. We have an older 5 camera studio configuration with Protools HD in the auditorium and all the required sync for events in the auditorium. We even have a mixture of SD, digital, and HD sources. Making them talk together can get complicated. But when we need to do single camera production, we sometimes opt for the smaller Sony Z1U or even the A1U.

I'm thinking of adding a video capable DSLR. Either as a purchase made by work, or just using one I buy. We borrowed a non Pentax DSLR this week, was amazing.
07-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I see. I need to read up on the K-X video. I just assumed it had what the K-7 does. You know another technique besides the clapper is just also record the sound on the K-X. Then in the editor, you can match up the sound from the K-X with that recorded either by the other cameras or the external recording device on the time line. Granted, that is not a elegant solution but this brute-force technique will work. I've done it.
07-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks.