Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any tips on using HDLSR's for action/motion?

Hi, I basically bought my K7 after seeing
on youtube, it was the first time I've ever seen anything like that done with a DSLR, and I wanted to use it to make short snowboard films so it seemed perfect

But now I'm reluctantly trying to sell my K7 and get a dedicated video camera because after familiarizing myself with the capabilities of the K7 it just doesn't seem like it would work for action

the only thing that I can think of is using the kit lens with it's short hyperfocal distance and making sure I alway stay at least 7 feet away from the subject at all times.

How does one do action/following/front to back motion with a video dslr? Even if I do sell my K7 I'm just going to buy a Kx or a T2i and there's no guarantee I'll sell the K7.......so I'd like to know if it's possible for an HDSLR to be used for action like a dedicated camcorder - with it's exaggerated DOF, short hyperfocal and continuos AF - could

08-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Banned

Use a fisheye lens on the K-7 .

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGRv6IBkiQ[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsB5dtJTWz0[/yt]

Last edited by jogiba; 08-15-2010 at 05:57 PM.
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
Hi, I basically bought my K7 after seeing The Rider on youtube, it was the first time I've ever seen anything like that done with a DSLR, and I wanted to use it to make short snowboard films so it seemed perfect

But now I'm reluctantly trying to sell my K7 and get a dedicated video camera because after familiarizing myself with the capabilities of the K7 it just doesn't seem like it would work for action

the only thing that I can think of is using the kit lens with it's short hyperfocal distance and making sure I alway stay at least 7 feet away from the subject at all times.

How does one do action/following/front to back motion with a video dslr? Even if I do sell my K7 I'm just going to buy a Kx or a T2i and there's no guarantee I'll sell the K7.......so I'd like to know if it's possible for an HDSLR to be used for action like a dedicated camcorder - with it's exaggerated DOF, short hyperfocal and continuos AF - could
nothing about this video seems particularly difficult to shoot, most of the footage was probably shot on a tripod and the snowboarding scenes were shot with the guy on a board, it's walking that makes it difficult to get good footage, being on a skateboard is the poorman's glidecam and I highly recommend it!

shoot at wide angle, stopped down to f11 and you've got loads of depth of field
08-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want tighter DOF but don't want to be stuck at a set distance from the subject, you'll need to add a rail support rig and get a follow focus. A follow focus is a knob with gears that interfaces with the lens (either through a geared ring attached to the lens' focus ring or directly with a cine lens) and lets you adjust focus without touching the lens. If you have money to spend, you can go with a kit like the Redrock Micro Captain Stubling: Redrock Micro - DSLR "Captain Stubling"

I've used this rig with the K-7, and it works great. Here's a video made with the K-7, T2i, and the Captain Stubling:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otU46DiIvYs[/yt]

Since then, I've pieced together my own, cheaper version of this rig, which I have dubbed "Stowaway Stu:" Say hello to my Stowaway Stu system: made from an @express35 ... on Twitpic

- Jason