Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Inactive Account

The iPad as on field reviewing of your own video

I bought an iPad, and i found the Camera connection kit. I wondered if you could put an SD card in it and play your KX movie files on the iPad and guess what it worked!

You can shoot video on your Pentax and then connect the sd card to the iPad and you can review your movies on the fly! i think that this is one of the most awesome features of the iPad, it lets me review my shot footage within 3 mins and since i'm doing heavy video work on the Pentax KX, i can now see if i need to reshoot something faster then on the LCD.

Just something i wanted to share!

08-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
Banned

Great, are you running 720p*** mode off of the SDHC card or loading the MJPEG file on the iPad then playing off the internal flash drive ?
08-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That's great I saw the Ipad also in another use

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8g3B6sT-vI&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

It's a pitty it dousn't have an hdmi or usb port.
08-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Great, are you running 720p*** mode off of the SDHC card or loading the MJPEG file on the iPad then playing off the internal flash drive ?
I have no idea, i have to import the file first so i guess that it automatically adjusts is so the iPad can play it. But still i've had lots of times when i had shots that were useless in post because of little things i couldn't see on the LCD screen. And this helps! i hope i can help other people with this info. It's also good for looking at photo's that were shot, cause it also supports PNF raw files

08-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That's great I saw the Ipad also in another use

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8g3B6sT-vI&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

It's a pitty it dousn't have an hdmi or usb port.
It has an USB port with the camera connection kit maybe i could run a test! you gotta instruct me a bit though cause i'm not that into field screens yet!
08-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Banned

I guess 1536x1024 mode on my K-7 would work better than 1280x720 on the 1024x768 iPad display since they both have the same aspect ratio of 4:3 .
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Banned

well for a test use the smalles size video, once you get the go on this you can use it for real, I would then choose the 720p size.

Sorry, I'm not an apple user, but I do see some possibillitys on this Ipad.

09-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Banned

I just ordered the new 64GB iPod Touch with Retina display (960x640 at 326 pixels per inch ) that shows the same video specs as the iPad.

QuoteQuote:
TV and videoH.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
Apple - iPod touch - Technical specifications for iPod touch.

Apple - iPod touch - Record and edit video in high definition

I will wait for the 2nd gen iPad in 2011 and also use my 17" HP laptop when away from home on vacation etc.
09-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just tried importing from my k7. It only works in 0.9 and 0.3 modes and will not read in 1.6

what aspect ratio do most of you shoot in? I am assuming the best quality is 1.6 /3.2 unless you are looking for wide screen 0.9 m16.9
09-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Banned

I always shoot in 720p 3 star. That is most convenient for me alsoo if i want to do a little diting.

For the Ipad 720p is the top, it dousn't support full HD movie clips.

I think the 720p is just a little better then the 3:2 ratio because there is more compression to it.
09-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Nafta, so, what you are doing here is taking the SD card out of your camera, importing it into the Ipad, then watching it on the ipad? I understand why you want to do that, I have the same issue with photos. It looks good on the LCD of the camera, but when you get a really good look at it later, you realized it's not good enough. How has this been working out for you? It seems like it would be a pain to keep removing the SD card and waiting for the upload, etc.

Is there no other way to do this without removing the SD card?
09-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

jogiba, that new ipod touch looks very tempting to me too. I was thinking for the price that having a camera and HD video camera would be nice. I've heard that the camera is definitely much lower res that the v4 Iphone, I wonder if that means that the video is also lower quality? What are you planning to use it for?
09-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
Hi Nafta, so, what you are doing here is taking the SD card out of your camera, importing it into the Ipad, then watching it on the ipad? I understand why you want to do that, I have the same issue with photos. It looks good on the LCD of the camera, but when you get a really good look at it later, you realized it's not good enough. How has this been working out for you? It seems like it would be a pain to keep removing the SD card and waiting for the upload, etc.

Is there no other way to do this without removing the SD card?
There is, the iPad camera connection kit which i bought also has a usb thing. So you could connect the camera with the USB. I'm still searching on things what could make it a field monitor but this abit harder, There is a VGA adapter, so i should be able to hook the Camera to the VGA adapter. Like normally, the vga adapter will only show stuff when it's video, not the ipad self. So i need to revert the process, so that the ipad is the external source instead of the sending source. But we can surely try!
09-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The iPad is a great tool for photography. It my primary tool for editing photos and watching/editing 720p video. I use ReelDirector on the iPad to edit. It currently will only save at 640 x 360. The developers are working on higher resolutions.

With the camera kit you have a choice of USB connection or sd card. Very handy to have around. Check out my flickr page to see some of photos I have edited on my iPad. I am a beginner at the photo stuff but enjoy it very much.

Thx
09-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #15
Banned

Maybe the new 7" iPad will have a camera built-in like my new 64GB iPod Touch with Retina display so you could also use it as a barcode scanner like I do.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVAjrrTgHg[/YT]

I also use it to view my videos.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-15JrsOApRw[/YT]