Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Quick question: what is that?

This is a screengrab from That's it, That's all, a snowboard movie. What is that red flare coming off the right side of the frame? I've seen the exact thing in other snowboard videos. The heavy pixelation (compared to the rest of the movie) makes me think they used digital stabilization, is this a side affect of that?

It's not a pressing issue, I just wonder what it is and how it made it's way into a big budget movie such as this. A quick Google came up with nothing

09-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Beats me but there are other color problems in that screen shot too. Look to the left of the snowboarder at the trees.
09-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Forum Member

Back in the days of film (espescially 16mm, which lot of action sports films were shot in) when you hit the end of the reel, the last few frames could sometimes get exposed to sunilght and 'burn' the film giving a similar look to what you see here.

These days most things are shot on digital (Although with the budget of "That's It, Thats, All" it might have been shot on 35mm) and this effect is often replicated or used as a transition. I see it alot in surf movies as well.
09-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #4

When I saw that shot last night I thought "That looks just like light seepage into a film cannister". So that's a smart suggestion - that it's a 'damaged film look' effect applied intentionally as a transition.

09-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmmm, it wasn't much of a transition though, and while I don't know if the movie was taped on film or not, the opening sequence is based around a 35mm film production studio
09-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #6

Well if it was shot on film, then I'd say it's real light seepage, maybe with later digital enlargement or whatever on teh shot.
09-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
Banned

The video starts with some film reels so they must have added that for a nostalgic film effect.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_0XgruOrQ[/YT]

09-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The video starts with some film reels so they must have added that for a nostalgic film effect.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_0XgruOrQ[/YT]
Oh darn I thought that was the actual intro, I found it on Vimeo. In my mind it's about as epic and powerful as they come

(from 2:45 onward isn't the actual film but everything before it is)
09-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #9

As most other replies have pointed out, it's definitely a light leak. Seeing as 16mm film is getting increasingly more popular in the snowboard film industry (if you can call it that), then it only makes sense that some of this movie was shot with a combination of 16mm film and digital HD video.
Another perfect example of such heavy use of 16mm film in a snowboarding movie would be "Montreal: a 16mm Snowboard Documentary" which was entirely filmed with a 16mm film camera. And it's also got an incredible mix of scenery (street and mountain) and music.

Actually, here's a video that one of the main filmers shot in a helicopter circa 2006. Looks like "That's it, that's all" wasn't completely revolutionary in their soundtrack choice after all.