Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheoSixx Quote
each video frame or interlaced field of a digital video sequence is separately compressed as a JPEG image
"Video frame" is the progressive part. They don't mention the word "progressive" because they assume that where you talk about a "frame" it is a single image (not one made up of two seperately sampled fields) unless otherwise stated. Hence why they then also stipulate that interlaced signals can be part of the MJPEG standard too.

Where on earth did you get the crazy idea that the K-X shoots interlaced anyway? From your own observations? Or somewhere else?

10-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ewww, I'm gone for a day and the potty mouths & pundits descend upon the thread locust like.
(I wonder if there's a spray that can eradicate ignorance?)

This 'discussion' should really get motivated to another thread all its own.
None of this helps the original poster get his answer - and I don't see (though may have missed) any of the PM & P's providing any wisdom in that regard.

I'm using a Tektronix WFM6000 to 'look' at my 'stream'.

If anyone believes they're 'really' shooting high def with the Kx (or any other 'video capable' DSLR), that's cool. More power to you.

In a minute I'm deleting all my contributions here as they are not germane to the original instance of the thread itself.
Suggest y'all do too- just to be proper. (Thread drift- it's an ugly thing.)
*If someone wants to bring up this HD/Progressive stuff in another thread- go for it.
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Tektronics Wave Form Monitor 6000 only does SD-SDI, how can it be used to determine if a signal is HD-SDI or not? Just curious.
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #19

Theosixx - before you delete your stuff, may I remind you that you claimed that the Pentax site itself did not indicate the K-x was 24P (emphasis on P). It took 5 seconds on Google to show that was incorrect information. Given that track record, and your refusal to back up anything else you've said to confuse folks, you might want to reflect on why you are getting what you consider to be impolite responses.

10-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #20
Forum Member

None of this helps the original poster get his answer - and I don't see (though may have missed) any of the PM & P's providing any wisdom in that regard.
Fair call.

You can sometimes extract usable stills from the K-X, but I wouldn't exactly call them good. They'll do for web use but you wouldn't want to use them for A4 prints!

The main problems are the resolution (1280x720, but in reality the actual resolution is alot lower - the rest is just aliasing) and the lack of manual controls. It is difficult to know what you are getting in regards to shutterspeed because it is always automatic. It is not possible to specify a fast shutterspeed which is a pre-requisite of extracting usable stills, and you often don't know what the camera did until you play it back later on.

Your best chance of getting usable stills would be to shoot with the aperture fully open - that way the camera will select a faster shutter speed which will let you get usable stills. Unfortunatly the resulting video will be really stuttery and rather hard on the eyes - perhaps to the point of being unusable in some cases.
10-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #21
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
Fair call.

You can sometimes extract usable stills from the K-X, but I wouldn't exactly call them good. They'll do for web use but you wouldn't want to use them for A4 prints!

The main problems are the resolution (1280x720, but in reality the actual resolution is alot lower - the rest is just aliasing) and the lack of manual controls. It is difficult to know what you are getting in regards to shutterspeed because it is always automatic. It is not possible to specify a fast shutterspeed which is a pre-requisite of extracting usable stills, and you often don't know what the camera did until you play it back later on.

Your best chance of getting usable stills would be to shoot with the aperture fully open - that way the camera will select a faster shutter speed which will let you get usable stills. Unfortunatly the resulting video will be really stuttery and rather hard on the eyes - perhaps to the point of being unusable in some cases.
So you discovered that for A4 prints you need more pixels So that is no shocking to me. There is a way to set your camera setting true the backdoor as mentioned somewhere else here on the forum. Stills don't make a movie, it's the sequens of stills that make a movie. For good stills you best to make pictures and not a movie.
10-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This 'discussion' should really get motivated to another thread all its own.
Thank you [ the OP]

10-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
Fair call.
and thank you as well.
I wil try that, Ii don't give a D**m about the video quality, I'm just trying to see if I could find a way of getting a usable image from a high speed burst. I tried a few high speed burst cameras in a shop but the image quality was shocking. all compact type or bridge cameras including the Pentax X70 and X90
Alistair [the OP]
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Use VLC Media Player
Click view>Advanced controls (this will add a couple of buttons including a camera between the playback bar and the playback buttons)
Click the camera and it will dump a still of the current frame into your My Pictures folder.
10-08-2010, 05:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Use VLC Media Player
Click view>Advanced controls (this will add a couple of buttons including a camera between the playback bar and the playback buttons)
Click the camera and it will dump a still of the current frame into your My Pictures folder.
does LC MEDIA PLAYER play AVI files? it doesn't play mine?
10-08-2010, 07:47 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Another method is to just play the video, pause and do a screen capture.
10-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #27

Virtualdub is free, and has a very useable framecapture feature.

(Also, it allows you to easily apply a various filters before capturing the frame ... so you could investigate for yourself the suggestion that deinterlacing improves the image).