Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DSLR video advice

Right, have a buddy at work who has started an arts course, he mentioned that he has to produce a couple of 5 minute video clips. He has been advised to get a Canon 550D with a kit lens and asked my advice... I dunno I said, I take pictures.
So I started thinking, wait, wait, surely even with video good glass has to be a factor in determining quality and artistic freedom, i.e. you would have more freedom of expression and sharpness with say for example my 43LTD compared to a Canon 18-55 just to be completely unfair!
So how does a K-X compare to a 550D in the video sphere? Spec wise the 550 blows the K-X out of the water with regards to framerate, and the K-R too for that matter. I would be willing to let my buddy borrow all of my lenses, would they be the difference in making up the shortfall in spec difference body wise? He has a budget of around €800...
Oh and can a K-X work in video mode for more that 30 seconds?

09-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well with your K-x you can make a decent video. Up to about 9 minutes in 720p video of very good quality. With your 43mm lens you should be able to make excellent video footage as long as you keep an eye on light conditions.

Only thing you don't have on the K-x is an external microfone.

I suggest, take your K-x, put it on video-mode an press start, you will see that it will run.
09-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well with your K-x you can make a decent video. Up to about 9 minutes in 720p video of very good quality. With your 43mm lens you should be able to make excellent video footage as long as you keep an eye on light conditions.

Only thing you don't have on the K-x is an external microfone.

I suggest, take your K-x, put it on video-mode an press start, you will see that it will run.
Sorry Ron, I have a K20D not a K-x but I do have a reasonable collection of glass. My query relates to a friend buying a dslr purely for video purposes. I would hate to lose a potential convert to the Pentax cause if I can help it
09-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I wouldn't worry too much about the glass that's on the camera. I mean it would have to be a really bad lens not capable of taking a decent still shot to be a factor. A good video captures your attention, has mood, emotion, tension and drama and that will trump the visual quality every time. In other words, a bad video doesn't get any better just because it is sharp and has superb image quality just like a photograph.

09-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What about DOF? surely that would add to the mood, tension, drama...
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
What about DOF? surely that would add to the mood, tension, drama...
Beats me. I don't know what your friend has in mind where DOF is being applied to create those attributes.
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Beats me. I don't know what your friend has in mind where DOF is being applied to create those attributes.
Many Thanks for your replies anyway. I did not mean to sound to seem so abrupt!

10-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

For video, the 550d bests the K-x anyday. Apart from being able to do 1080p & 60p, it also gives you proper manual control.
10-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I find it kind of odd that he's being told to get an SLR for video, unless there is some deep purpose to that. A video camera makes shooting video a lot easier. Not only do you get much longer shooting time, but more control, auto-focus and other niceties, a better form factor, swivel LCD etc.

An SLR really requires a fair number of add-on accessories to be useful unless you are simply sitting it on a tripod for talking heads stuff. I do think that the main advantage is, as you say, access to a collection of lenses. To get a dedicated video camera with interchangeable lenses you need to pay a heck of a lot more than an SLR. It's great to have access to fish-eye, telephoto, macro and thin DOF.

One definitive reason to prefer the Pentax is the built-in SR. I don't have extensive use of the video in my K-x, but this has to be a big win for hand-held footage.

I record all sound externally using a digital audio recorder. This allows me to place the mic where I want. Depending on usage your friend might be adding all sound in post anyway. For me the lack of audio input on the K-x means nothing, since I would never use it. It is trivially easy to import the audio track alongside the video in a non-linear editor. Zoom in, line up the audio tracks, then delete the audio track from the video stream and you are done. No need for time-code since adjustments can be made manually quite easily for the imposed time limit of a shot. I simply clap at the beginning of shooting to produce a clear alignment point.
10-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
For video, the 550d bests the K-x anyday. Apart from being able to do 1080p & 60p, it also gives you proper manual control.
Manual controls might well be a requirement for the course, depending on what the instructor is trying to teach. Your friend should ask a few more questions. I can't believe the new Pentax cameras won't have this.

The lack of 1080p etc. is not a big deal unless you have enormous amounts of disk space, time for editing, gargantuan backup storage and the desire to out-do Hollywood. There are so many other things that will improve a video besides more resolution.
10-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just found a rather comprehensive free guide to shooting video on SLRs. It does require an email subscription, but you can always use a junk email account for that if it worries you. Check out the DSLR Cinematography Guide.
10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I find it kind of odd that he's being told to get an SLR for video, unless there is some deep purpose to that. A video camera makes shooting video a lot easier. Not only do you get much longer shooting time, but more control, auto-focus and other niceties, a better form factor, swivel LCD etc.

An SLR really requires a fair number of add-on accessories to be useful unless you are simply sitting it on a tripod for talking heads stuff. I do think that the main advantage is, as you say, access to a collection of lenses. To get a dedicated video camera with interchangeable lenses you need to pay a heck of a lot more than an SLR. It's great to have access to fish-eye, telephoto, macro and thin DOF.

One definitive reason to prefer the Pentax is the built-in SR. I don't have extensive use of the video in my K-x, but this has to be a big win for hand-held footage.

I record all sound externally using a digital audio recorder. This allows me to place the mic where I want. Depending on usage your friend might be adding all sound in post anyway. For me the lack of audio input on the K-x means nothing, since I would never use it. It is trivially easy to import the audio track alongside the video in a non-linear editor. Zoom in, line up the audio tracks, then delete the audio track from the video stream and you are done. No need for time-code since adjustments can be made manually quite easily for the imposed time limit of a shot. I simply clap at the beginning of shooting to produce a clear alignment point.
Found it a bit odd as well that a dslr was specified. SR should be a big plus in this situation, maybe I should force him to use my Super Takumars only

QuoteQuote:
Manual controls might well be a requirement for the course, depending on what the instructor is trying to teach. Your friend should ask a few more questions. I can't believe the new Pentax cameras won't have this.

The lack of 1080p etc. is not a big deal unless you have enormous amounts of disk space, time for editing, gargantuan backup storage and the desire to out-do Hollywood. There are so many other things that will improve a video besides more resolution.
I doubt very much he will have disk, time or indeed willingness to expend massive effort in the editing process.

QuoteQuote:
I just found a rather comprehensive free guide to shooting video on SLRs. It does require an email subscription, but you can always use a junk email account for that if it worries you. Check out the DSLR Cinematography Guide.
Many Thanks Robin, much appreciated
10-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Banned

Here is one of the first K-X videos that I liked done by one of the K-X users on this forum:
10-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #14

Manual controls ... I can't believe the new Pentax cameras won't have this.
You need to believe. Manual aperture and exposure, but no manual shutter.
10-03-2010, 03:59 AM   #15
Forum Member

For any type of video you will need lots of video space, time for editing, and backup storage.

Manual controls might not be a requirement for the course, but they sure are a requirement for getting good, repeatable and predictable images.

Keep in mind that if you're going to buy a camera as a student, there is no point buying one which will just be 'usable' for one project, but won't be much use beyond that. You want one which gives you room to grow, learn, improve and ultimately work consitantly and professionally with. The Canon's have proven themselves to satisfy this criteria for video, whereas the Pentax cameras have not.

There is a reason so many Pro, indy and student videographers are switching to Canon DSLR's for video use... they give so much creative control at a price point well below that of Prosumer DSLR's. It is difficult to find a video camera under $2000 which has manual controls, let alone dedicated buttons. Compare a DSLR setup to a proper camcorder with manual controls, audio inputs etc such as the NX5 and you'll see why those DSLR's (even with a few lenses, an audio recorder, rails, matte box etc) are the preferred option for those on a budget - espescially considering the wider range of creative possibilities they offer you with lower noise, better sensitivity, more dynamic range, lens selections, etc.