Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Keebler

K7 to AppleTV format

Hi folks,

Working on a Mac Pro with the videos from my K7.

It doesn't matter whether or not I use MPEG streamclip to convert the original files to a file better suited for FCP, but the files output from Final Cut Pro using the CompressHD card, won't play on the AppleTV - I get a message saying the file is unplayable (or along that lines).

The bitrate is lower (around 4 mpbs) than what the ATV calls for (this is the original ATV).

I can't make sense of it so wondering what the workflow is for anyone else using this camera and a mac

Cheers,
Keebler

10-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You have FCP? You should have all the tools you need.
  • Convert the K-7 video with Compressor to ProRes 422 (optional but recommended)
  • Edit your video in FCP
  • Export your video using Compressor (File->Export->Using Compressor)
  • Select Apple Devices->H.264 for Apple TV and drag that preset to the sequence and start transcoding

I assume you're familiar with the details in the middle. Note: A fast and easy way to configure the timeline in FCP for your video is to open a new project and drop your first video clip on it first. If the current preference settings for the timeline on the project are different, you'll be prompted to change the timeline to match the video clip. Say yes.

Then start editing adding a leading slug in front, for example. If you edit the timeline in anyway before dropping that first clip in, your clip will take on the preference settings for the project's timeline.

Edit: And that goes for any new sequences you may add to the project too.

Last edited by tuco; 10-15-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add More Info
10-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
HandBrake

Just select the AppleTV preset.

You also need to have VLC installed for handbrake to work.

VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Keebler

thanks folks!

Tuco, I should have further explained that it was the output through the CompressHD which was causing me grief Great post btw and to be honest, I hadn't even thought of using Compressor to convert the avi into a prores file so I'll be doing that from now on I've been using MPEG streamclip, which does do a good job, but I'll see how compressor fairs.

Regarding the compressHD, I found the issue - for whatever reason and even though the ATV says it will take 1280x720p, the compressHD card has a setting for 960x540p which works perfectly.

This card is a touch expensive and I hope to use it for client youtube and blu ray files (as well as ATV and i-devices), but man, is it EVER fast. Cranks out an ATV standard def movie in 15 minutes.

I dupe the movie, dump 1 into MetaX, tag the details (family trips, special days etc..) and the ATV file is ready go to. The quality is far better than compressor in case anyone ever wants to check this card out. WOW!

Thanks again for your help - truly appreciated.

Cheers,
Keebler

10-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
HandBrake

Just select the AppleTV preset.

You also need to have VLC installed for handbrake to work.

VideoLAN - VLC media player - Open Source Multimedia Framework and Player
If the OP has FCP, there is no need at all for such a solution. He has full control of every detail with Compressor and a comprehensive editor.
10-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I find Compressor pretty fast with its ability to use more than one computer in a chain to task the job out. I use 3 computer to transcode my video when I have anything that is lengthy. But the time is all dependent on the quality settings too.

Last edited by tuco; 10-15-2010 at 11:53 AM.
10-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I was looking at that CompressHD card. It says it works through FCP's Compressor too with the settings you can make there. So the workflow I described should still be valid.

10-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used Handbrake and if you use the Normal or Universal HD preset it will work on the ATV. I have the oldschool one and that is what i use... i haven't tried from iMovie.