Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #1

MJPEG Encoding Help !?! Finished editing, need to encode now!

I need help converting my w90's mjpeg 1280x720 video, 24mbs, i have power director 8.. i am doing alota editing and trimming, just need to know my converting settings so i can stay as close as possible to the original video.

1. whats the best codec ? i was gonna go with mpeg2 ive heard thats best for mjpeg

2. should i go with cbr or cvbr ? if vbr whats the best min/max bitrate? if cbr whats the best bitrate ? i dont want to loose quality, i would like it to be best as possible [obviously lol] but i would like to cut down the filesize which mpeg2 does anyways just being a different codec [i guess]

3. on the advanced settings it has a checkbox for smoothing and noise removal should i use these i assume they are filters but i cant tll the difference with my test vids i converted maybe someone can explain what they do? but in the editing clip menu [not converting menu] theres a filter for video denoise and it does work very well and i can tell a huge difference, it has a slide bar for more or less.. i just dont understand what the noise removal checkbox is for cuz it doesnt seem to do anything

4. frame type - filed order first or progressive ? as far as i know u should only use progressive if ur only gonna view on a lcd computer screen and keep them on computer for viewing, am i right or close lol ? please explain this so i know what to choose

w90 takes horrible video, very very noisy.. i dont understand why every video has sooooo much nosie.. i always record in 3 *** and just to let u know i will be viewing the finished videos on both computer and my samsung 55" led tv

Last edited by skinnypimp419; 11-10-2010 at 11:49 PM.
11-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

may be try virtualdub, it is succesfull for converting purposes.
11-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by akanarya Quote
may be try virtualdub, it is succesfull for converting purposes.
i would like to stick with power director.. it does much more than virtualdub ever will..

all i need to know is what bitrate i should convert too with mpeg2 without loosing any noticable quallty, i would like to stay as close to original as possible.. just need some mjpeg converting tips.. best codec/best bitrate for keeping quallity... lets say my mjpeg file is 100MB and if i convert to mpeg2 does filesize matter, should i just keep uping the bitrate untill its close to 100MB?
11-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I can sort of guess but could you make it clear. What device are you targeting for the final output? A DVD for playing in a DVD player?

Progressive is a lot simpler and nicer to work with. Interlace video for TV can be a pain. The sooner interlaced devices are dead the better as far as I'm concerned. I suspect the noise is due to automatic gain is being applied because there is not enough light.

11-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

Edit using the raw mjpeg, or perhaps convert to a near-lossless avi format (e.g. Cineform).

You dont want to be converting to mpeg2 for editing - that's a lossy delivery format.
11-10-2010, 11:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I can sort of guess but could you make it clear. What device are you targeting for the final output? A DVD for playing in a DVD player?

Progressive is a lot simpler and nicer to work with. Interlace video for TV can be a pain. The sooner interlaced devices are dead the better as far as I'm concerned. I suspect the noise is due to automatic gain is being applied because there is not enough light.
i will be playing through a xbox360 & through the usb port on my tv which has a built in media player.. i would like to also lower the filesize at least by half.. raw mjpeg records at 225MB a MIN thats just crazy and i dont have the room for these huge files.. my computer also cant play the 24mbs original videos.. every player i use theres way to much frame drop like 3 to 7 sec of frame drop lol but i found that ACDSEE does play the video files fine.. once i edit and splice them i am just gonna store them on my hardrive for years of watching/storage.. i will be mainly watching these on my computer but i want to keep the quality for when i watch them on my 55inch LED tv

Last edited by skinnypimp419; 11-10-2010 at 11:51 PM.
11-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coby Quote
Edit using the raw mjpeg, or perhaps convert to a near-lossless avi format (e.g. Cineform).

You dont want to be converting to mpeg2 for editing - that's a lossy delivery format.
i am not converting these to mpeg2 to editing them... powerdirector supports mjpeg editing, once i trim enhance and splice with transitions and make my movie i will need to encode the finished video with..... mpeg1/mpeg2/mov/rm/mpeg4/avchd/avi then it gives me the options to enter the bitrate to encode to..... so which codec to go with and what bitrate ?? i just heard out of my choices mpeg2 is best for mjpeg edited files..

i hope im explaining this right... i edited my movies already all i need to do is choose a encode type and bitrate so i can save these movies and store them for future viewing on my tv and computer, raw mjpeg files are too huge i want to cut the filesize down but keep the quality that another reason to encode to something different and efficient

11-11-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skinnypimp419 Quote
i will be playing through a xbox360 & through the usb port on my tv which has a built in media player.. i would like to also lower the filesize at least by half.. raw mjpeg records at 225MB a MIN thats just crazy and i dont have the room for these huge files.. my computer also cant play the 24mbs original videos.. every player i use theres way to much frame drop like 3 to 7 sec of frame drop lol but i found that ACDSEE does play the video files fine.. once i edit and splice them i am just gonna store them on my hardrive for years of watching/storage.. i will be mainly watching these on my computer but i want to keep the quality for when i watch them on my 55inch LED tv
I assume that TV handles progress. And I believe the Xbox360 plays MP4 up to 8Mbps and H.264 video up to 10Mbps. So, you have choices. Keep it progressive. Convert it to one of those with a key frame every second and and, say, 5Mbps for video and max out whatever sound the Xbox supports and you'll have a good quality video with a much smaller file size that will play on the computer too. In the case of H.264 you could bump up the bit rate and the key frames every 1/2 second if the size is still acceptable.

You'll need to do a web search to find the settings that will be compatible for the Xbox.