Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Curious about microphones on K5

Out of curiosity what type of mic can be added to the Pentax line? I think (I hope) I will be getting a K5 for my birthday and until recently (after looking at a few here) I had really thought the video would be something I leave to the Flip. However, some of the videos look pretty amazing to me when shot with the DSRL. So, sound has always been an issue on the Flip so it got me wondering is the only add on the Pentax version or our there other mics that can be used?

11-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Banned

I use the Rode Stereo VideoMic on my K-7 for HD video.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3GohLHY5Gs[/YT]
11-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
very cool video and sound is great. Is there any type of wireless mic options anyone is aware of? What lens was that you used jogiba? The IS is pretty amazing I think, with my flip mino I do not get as smooth shots as you look like you are getting from the K7. How much video can you get on say a 2G card?
11-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is another Rode. You can use almost any mic really. Even XLR mics though they'd be mono with a XLR to 1/8 cable or adapter.

11-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
very cool video and sound is great. Is there any type of wireless mic options anyone is aware of? What lens was that you used jogiba? The IS is pretty amazing I think, with my flip mino I do not get as smooth shots as you look like you are getting from the K7. How much video can you get on say a 2G card?
That was shot with my 10-24mm Tamron @10mm. With MJPEG you would need much larger SDHC cards than video shot in H.264/ MPEG4 or AVCHD since it takes up twice the space and the K-5 in 1080p mode uses about twice as much space as my K-7 in 1536x1024 *** mode.

For wireless mics look here:

Wireless Microphones - B&H Photo Video
11-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have both of the Rode microphones mentioned in this thread so far, and I think they're both great and have nice sound. But they are very different, and I'm not sure which one I would rather have if I could only have one. The SVM Is great for ambient sounds, room sound, and sound where you want to capture all the sound in a given place, but it picks up up evvvvvverything. It might as well be omnidirectional. It's really terrible for being in a noisy environment and want to get audio of someone talking, or in a room full of talking and you want one of them to stand out, like the person who is talking to the camera. Obviously, none of these are situations where a supercardiod stereo mic are ideal anyways. But the SVM is what I started out with, and it was situations like these that made me also get the shotgun. The other thing it picks up like crazy, is any noise you make from behind the camera; be it talking laughing, coughing or breathing to loud. There were too many situation where I would want to be talking with the person on camera, and my voice would be so disproportionately louder than theirs and sounded like the booming off-camera voice of God. With the Shotgun mic, it balances much better. The other thing, is that I assumed that the $100 price difference was just because shotgun mics are cheaper than stereo mics or something, but the build quality of the shotgun is a joke compared to the SVM. The SVM is really nice all metal build, and feels very solid and durable. The Shotgun mic is an all plastic build, that feels pretty cheap and flimsy, and quite honestly, I'm constantly afraid of breaking it. I know I'll break it sooner or later, because I'm really tough on my gear, it's just a matter of when and how. But it sounds great. Just some food for thought. It all depends on why type of stuff you'll be videoing most.
11-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
The other thing, is that I assumed that the $100 price difference was just because shotgun mics are cheaper than stereo mics or something, but the build quality of the shotgun is a joke compared to the SVM.
It becomes less of a joke when you want to mount it on a steadicam. I have a nice metal shogun mic but that is not going on the camera with the steadicam because of the weight.

11-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It becomes less of a joke when you want to mount it on a steadicam. I have a nice metal shogun mic but that is not going on the camera with the steadicam because of the weight.
Sounds logical. It is pretty freaking light. Guess it comes down to where weight vs. durability vs. polar pattern fall on the buyer's priority list.

How are you with that steadicam? I've only tried those a few times for a few minutes, and they sure feel squirrelly. There appear to be quite the learning curve before you can actually get smooth shots.
11-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sounds logical. It is pretty freaking light. Guess it comes down to where weight vs. durability vs. polar pattern fall on the buyer's priority list.

How are you with that steadicam? I've only tried those a few times for a few minutes, and they sure feel squirrelly. There appear to be quite the learning curve before you can actually get smooth shots.
I do okay with it. One thing though. You always get smooth shots By that I mean, yeah, you may be moving it around but those movements are smooth and easy to view even though you didn't hold it well. In other words, a bad day with the steadicam cam is better than a good day without one when it comes to viewing the results. Once I was walking backwards shooting and broke the golden rule of watch where you're going and stepped off a small, three-rung stair step. I almost bit it but I held on from falling. When I viewed the video of that event, it looked like I floated down those stairs even though I was stumbling from loss of balance.

Wind can be a problem. I throws the balance off. And it does take practice to hold the gimbal with your fingers to counter the wind and not have jerkiness since you now are nulling the steadicam effect some. And you are always adjusting it. Amazingly, even changing the focus on the lens will change the balance. You get quicker and better at re-balancing it with use.
11-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I do okay with it. One thing though. You always get smooth shots By that I mean, yeah, you may be moving it around but those movements are smooth and easy to view even though you didn't hold it well. In other words, a bad day with the steadicam cam is better than a good day without one when it comes to viewing the results. Once I was walking backwards shooting and broke the golden rule of watch where you're going and stepped off a small, three-rung stair step. I almost bit it but I held on from falling. When I viewed the video of that event, it looked like I floated down those stairs even though I was stumbling from loss of balance.

Wind can be a problem. I throws the balance off. And it does take practice to hold the gimbal with your fingers to counter the wind and not have jerkiness since you now are nulling the steadicam effect some. And you are always adjusting it. Amazingly, even changing the focus on the lens will change the balance. You get quicker and better at re-balancing it with use.
Sweet. Do you use it with a vest and arm, or just hand hold it?

Sorry for the hijack...
11-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Sorry for the hijack...
Just handhold. It was expensive enough just for the steadicam. That vest outfit costs way too much for as often as I use the steadicam. But it would be nice to have especially for a long day of shooting. So having as light as possible rig on the steadicam makes it easier on your arm.
11-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Banned

I alsoo use the Rode SVM. Great microfoon for short distances. I sometimes use a 2 meter cable to get it closer to the sorce of the sound.

About cards: just buy 16 or 32 Gb cards, because files are big.
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Sorry for the hijack...
Don't be sorry I am very interested in that as well :-)