Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 video Live View question

I understand that on the K-5 when shooting video, you can only do this using Live View, which I assume means having to look at the LCD monitor. If so, does this mean that there is absolutely no way to record video while looking through the viewfinder?

11-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I understand that on the K-5 when shooting video, you can only do this using Live View, which I assume means having to look at the LCD monitor. If so, does this mean that there is absolutely no way to record video while looking through the viewfinder?
Correct.
The mirror has to be lifted in order for the sensor to be exposed.
Once the mirror is up, you cannot see through the viewfinder.

If that should be a requirement,
Some companies make a eye-peice mechanism that fits over the LCD to make it easier to work with video.
Else, look into cameras that have semi-transparent mirrors that might allow viewing through the actual viewfinder while recording video.
Or some cameras that have tiny LCD screens in the viewfinder rather than true TTL.
11-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Banned

If you want to view through the viewfinder when shooting 1080p HD video then get the new Panasonic GH2 with 1,533,600-dot equivalent resolution EVF .DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global
DMC-GH2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRCt6Jh-o40[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnUeEdYQrI[/YT]

QuoteQuote:
GH2 is the best FullHD DSLR for me. My impression with some cameras.
video quality: GH2>GH1>5D2>>a55>K-5
ease of use: a55>GH2=GH1>K-5>>5D2
a55 loses the quality of the video. If you have GH2, GH1(hacked) is not necessary.
My blog is written in Japanese, but I think it's helpful captured image.
darwinfish105.blogspot.com/​2010/​11/​gh15dmarkii55k-5gh2.html
11-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the informative responses. An LCD hood seems like the best option for the K-5, or else using it outside on a sunny day would be an exercise in futility.

As for getting another camera entirely for video, I'm already in that situation (with my old Fuji S602) and wanted a good all-in-one solution with the K-5, but I'm not sure the video end of things will be quite to my liking: holding it away from my face while recording, no AF operation or being able to change aperture while recording, mono sound unless you buy an external stereo mic, etc.

I guess being able to zoom and MF while recording are the only saving graces, unless someone can enlighten me as to the other benefits of K-5 video mode.

11-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Banned

I take my K-7 with 10-24mm Tamron zooms to the kids birthday party etc and shoot HD video @10mm (15mm, 35mm eqiv) without the need to focus and shoot stills with flash @24mm (36mm , 35mm eqiv).
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JH-K6kqtgA[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3GohLHY5Gs[/YT]