Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2011, 12:32 AM   #16
Kai

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Here's another short clip I took today with the K7 and the Rode stereo videomic. Let me know if you can hear the noise you're talking about.

Vimeo: Error
No, I don't hear it. Thank you.

02-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #17
Kai

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9L-y42Nj58[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zCiuh_UWLc[/YT]
I hear similar noise but different than mine. Mine is more of a medium drum if it makes any sense to you. These two are more of metal screeching noise.
02-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #18
Kai

Here is also another test clip. I heard on my computer at 7, 8, 22, 23, 25, & 26 sec mark. There is some focus ring turning noise that you should probably ignore.

BTW, there may be some DC Click noise again. I don't hear it on my computer. But at the last few times, I heard it after uploading to Vimeo. It was annoying that I deleted those.

Thank you for taking a look.
02-24-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kai Quote
I hear similar noise but different than mine. Mine is more of a medium drum if it makes any sense to you. These two are more of metal screeching noise.
OK, there's a sort of metallic scratching. This is using the internal microphone of the camera?

02-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is also another test clip. I heard on my computer at 7, 8, 22, 23, 25, & 26 sec mark. There is some focus ring turning noise that you should probably ignore.

BTW, there may be some DC Click noise again. I don't hear it on my computer. But at the last few times, I heard it after uploading to Vimeo. It was annoying that I deleted those.

Thank you for taking a look.
Here I think the noise you're talking about sounds more like a wooden thunk? Of course it's difficult for me to know, because you know what the audio track shouldn't contain and I don't. I don't think I've heard those noises with my camera, but then I usually use the Rode microphone to get stereo sound. The Rode mic has an acoustic isolation system plus the "dead kitten" to reduce wind noise.
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #21
Kai

OK, there's a sort of metallic scratching. This is using the internal microphone of the camera?
Nop, that's was the external mic on the 3.5 plug.
02-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #22
Kai

Here I think the noise you're talking about sounds more like a wooden thunk? Of course it's difficult for me to know, because you know what the audio track shouldn't contain and I don't. I don't think I've heard those noises with my camera, but then I usually use the Rode microphone to get stereo sound. The Rode mic has an acoustic isolation system plus the "dead kitten" to reduce wind noise.
Even the other post with two clips I heard different noise from mine. I think that mic works well for you. Thanks for your thought.

02-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #23
Inactive Account

no..i will encourage you guys to turn off SR for video recording..here are some of the reason why:

1. SR on will make some anoying noise(using internal mic) when you move your camera

2. whenever you move your camera while recording, the image will blur..we all know that we need to move the camera very frequently when recording video..the effect is same when you turn SR on while doing panning shot..

3. SR will cause more jelly effect..you can see by trying to pan your camera from left to right(vice versea)..when you stop moving your camera, you will see that the video is still moving to the right/left due to the SR sensor shifting..
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nop, that's was the external mic on the 3.5 plug.
Oh. Is there any sort of acoustic isolation between the mic and the camera? It's possible that the sound is being transmitted through the metal of the camera body and the microphone mount.

Even the other post with two clips I heard different noise from mine. I think that mic works well for you. Thanks for your thought.
Try your microphone hand held away from the camera with the camera on a tripod. If the camera still gets the noises, it's a lot harder to explain - that would indicate the noises were caused by electrical interference. With the microphone acoustically isolated by the cord, it shouldn't be possible to conduct vibrations from the camera body.
02-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #25
Kai

QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote
no..i will encourage you guys to turn off SR for video recording..here are some of the reason why:

1. SR on will make some anoying noise(using internal mic) when you move your camera

2. whenever you move your camera while recording, the image will blur..we all know that we need to move the camera very frequently when recording video..the effect is same when you turn SR on while doing panning shot..

3. SR will cause more jelly effect..you can see by trying to pan your camera from left to right(vice versea)..when you stop moving your camera, you will see that the video is still moving to the right/left due to the SR sensor shifting..
I agree. The noise was not there when I did not turn on SR.

Oh. Is there any sort of acoustic isolation between the mic and the camera? It's possible that the sound is being transmitted through the metal of the camera body and the microphone mount.

Try your microphone hand held away from the camera with the camera on a tripod. If the camera still gets the noises, it's a lot harder to explain - that would indicate the noises were caused by electrical interference. With the microphone acoustically isolated by the cord, it shouldn't be possible to conduct vibrations from the camera body.
I am pretty sure it was the SR noise since turning it off would eliminate this sound. Thank you.
02-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote

I use an external microphone which is acoustically isolated from the camera. Most of the time, the stabilisation doesn't cause noises unless you move the camera quickly, which isn't likely to look much good anyway.

QuoteQuote:
I'll have to do some more comparative tests on this. I'd expect to get blur when moving the camera anyway, and it's preferable to the ugly jerkiness which is visible of you disable stabilisation. The slight jerkiness when hand-holding a camera wasn't as noticeable in the days of standard definition video cameras, but with HD it becomes critical.

QuoteQuote:
I shot some hand held video yesterday and using image stabilisation was definitely worthwhile. Sure, the best result will be with a tripod and not moving the camera at all, but it's not always possible to do this. With my 55-300 at about 200mm, image stabilisation helped a great deal. Without it, the hand held video was moved unacceptably. With the 16-45 at 16mm and f5.6, I was able to walk slowly with the camera while taking video. Obviously a steadicam would be ideal, but also very expensive.

As I said, I need to experiment more, but most of the time, image stabilisation is useful. For the best results, don't move the camera at all - set it up with a fixed shot on a solid tripod.