Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Googong Dam - K7 clip

I took some video of Googong Dam here in Australia, since the water is over the spillway for the first time in my memory. I'll have to be careful in future to check the histogram in situations like this - the water reflects so much light that the highlights are blown out.

12-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this shot on a tripod?
12-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I have to admit that I love dams. Nice video clip! You've captured the power of this very well.
12-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #4

Good clip, even with the blowout.

12-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Is this shot on a tripod?
Absolutely. Unless you're using a wide angle lens at a reasonable aperture, I would always recommend using a tripod with the K7 in video mode.
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I guess I have to admit that I love dams. Nice video clip! You've captured the power of this very well.
Thanks! I wish I could have got closer, but the road to the base of the dam was closed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Daniel_r Quote
Good clip, even with the blowout.
Thank you! I'll have to watch out for situations like this and look at the histogram on a still shot. It doesn't seem to be possible to get a histogram from video (which makes sense due to the processing required). Trouble is, I suspect that the dynamic range in still image mode is wider than in video mode. Now if I could just find my father's monopod...
12-12-2010, 03:53 AM   #7

Bit off topic, but Does the K7 autofocus in video mode?

12-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

No AF in video mode..
For long shots using a 250mm lens I set on infinity before shooting, this lets me zoom in/out a far amount without loosing focus.
I've used this method at motor sports, hand held - some wobble but eyes on on the cars.

Good video Rob, very steady. We have Tinaroo Dam near here, the rate this early wet season is going, I may have similar shots to come...
12-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aussieflicker Quote
Bit off topic, but Does the K7 autofocus in video mode?
It depends on what you mean. You can use AF before you start the camera recording, but while recording, you can't. So there's no access to continuous focus like you would expect on a dedicated camcorder.

You can of course stop the recording, refocus then start recording again. But if you are trying to track something which is moving, you have o do it manually. That's made harder by the necessity of using the live view since the mirror is up. Here is where a micro 4/3 camera would have an advantage since there's no mirror and the viewfinder is electronic.
12-12-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
For long shots using a 250mm lens I set on infinity before shooting, this lets me zoom in/out a far amount without loosing focus.
I've used this method at motor sports, hand held - some wobble but eyes on on the cars.
I tried briefly zooming the 55-300 out, but it's so stiff that it's impossible to zoom smoothly.

QuoteQuote:
Good video Rob, very steady. We have Tinaroo Dam near here, the rate this early wet season is going, I may have similar shots to come...
Thanks! Hope it doesn't result in a flood downstream - that's what happened here at Queanbeyan.
12-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I tried briefly zooming the 55-300 out, but it's so stiff that it's impossible to zoom smoothly.
Run down to the local hardware store and make yourself a follow-focus attachment

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2hbd35hthI[/YT]
12-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Run down to the local hardware store and make yourself a follow-focus attachment
Interesting idea. I guess more leverage would make smooth zooming easier, but for the zoom mechanism I think you'd need a LOT more leverage than for focus.