Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

following a subject without auto focus on kx

i just got my kx today, and a little disappointed in the lack of auto focusing while recording. i was thinking if i record an action scene, say my dog running towards me, i need to manually focus the entire time correct? seems like quite a task.

anything you guys do to help with this? my only experience with movie making is recording my friends when we're all drunk, so i can't say i have much knowledge on tricks on film making

Last edited by pete_pf; 12-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.
12-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try to get a setting where you don't need to focus much?? i.e. Short focal length, narrow aperture, deep depth of field.

Otherwise, measure and mark off every movement and track focus as measured - like they do in real movies (a rig and second person to "pull focus" is helpful, but not cheap, even for a DSLR)... can't really do that with animals though if they aren't trained to run a certain path. So keeping the greatest depth of field possible will help eliminate some of the need to re-focus.

Otherwise, practice, practice, practice... :-(
12-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember that most camcorders use deep depth of field to their advantage. If you can, shoot at f8 to f11 and wider focal lengths. My favorite lens for video on the K7 is the 16-50, mainly because it is a lot easier to keep things in focus than, say, the 50-135. Tracking things, particularly randomly moving things is hard and takes a lot of practice.
12-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's where us manual lenses photogs have an advantage now!

12-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete_pf Quote
i just got my kx today, and a little disappointed in the lack of auto focusing while recording. i was thinking if i record an action scene, say my dog running towards me, i need to manually focus the entire time correct? seems like quite a task.

anything you guys do to help with this? my only experience with movie making is recording my friends when we're all drunk, so i can't say i have much knowledge on tricks on film making
Pro hollywood cams don't use AF either so don't feel cheated.
12-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Everyone keeps saying shoot F8 - F11 I am still learning the K5 and shoot a few videos and been happy. I have not done any adjustments to ISO or Fstop becuase I have no idea how. So I know the comment read the Manual will come up ( I will) but humor me, curious how can or do you adjust things asside from manual focus when shooting video?
12-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Everyone keeps saying shoot F8 - F11 I am still learning the K5 and shoot a few videos and been happy. I have not done any adjustments to ISO or Fstop becuase I have no idea how. So I know the comment read the Manual will come up ( I will) but humor me, curious how can or do you adjust things asside from manual focus when shooting video?
The only variables you have some control over are focus, aperture, resolution, frame rate, SR on/off, and sound on/off. The other variables (ISO, shutter speed, audio gain) are automatically controlled by the camera. If you have a K-7 or K-5, you can use a trick to manually choose the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Apart from focus and aperture, the other variables you have control over are located in the Movie section (usually found in Camera 4 menu screen).

- Jason
12-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks Jason that's what I thought. Appreciate your reply

12-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
The only variables you have some control over are focus, aperture, resolution, frame rate, SR on/off, and sound on/off. The other variables (ISO, shutter speed, audio gain) are automatically controlled by the camera. If you have a K-7 or K-5, you can use a trick to manually choose the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.

Apart from focus and aperture, the other variables you have control over are located in the Movie section (usually found in Camera 4 menu screen).

- Jason
Has it been confirmed that the cheat works with the K-5? I remember trying and not being able to tell the difference between something that should have been ISO 80, and something that should have been ISO 6400.
12-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Has it been confirmed that the cheat works with the K-5? I remember trying and not being able to tell the difference between something that should have been ISO 80, and something that should have been ISO 6400.
The trick seems to work for me.

- Jason
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
The trick seems to work for me.

- Jason
Hmmm... So I'll have to try again. So you can tell a definite difference between something tht is theoretically iso 100 vs theoretically iso 1600, or whatever? Thanks.
02-21-2011, 04:44 AM   #12

Keeping moving subject in focus. Advantage goes to video cameras. the only real dslr solution is the sony a33 and a55 at this time. i think the panny GH2 may have an option to do it as well.