Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Long Island Blizzard - Pentax K-x

Hey All,

I've just started getting into video a bit so went out shooting when the Blizzard that hit us on Sunday started. Yes, I like to go out in bad weather

I shot this all with the Pentax K-x + 40mm f/2.8 Limited lens.

I'm pretty happy with the quality of video on the K-x... just wish you could set things manually more. Also, anyone know how to get the white balance to "stick" so it doesn't change mid-shot?

Would love to hear comments... but do be gentle... my adventure in videography is new

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhoRKmDFsCQ[/YT]

12-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Hey All,
Also, anyone know how to get the white balance to "stick" so it doesn't change mid-shot?
Set your white balance to manual or a preset before shooting instead of auto
12-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not a vidographer, but IMHO you did a good job of photographing and editing this happening. I can't really comment on the specifics of the camera settings, since I'm a K10 user (no video) but I'm impressed with how you moved us through the story that you were showing us. It was very interestingly stitched together. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
12-28-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
krp
Veteran Member

That's a nice little movie. How did you keep your camera protected?

12-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought the video was pretty nice, and I really love the song and think it was a great choice. The problem with every kind of these videos that we all like to make is that I'm pretty sure you didn't write that song yourself, and therefore, it's infringment to use. YouTube has opened up a whole can of worms with the whole post your own videos thing, and the fact that everyone wants good music to go with their videos. But this is where we as photographers, who generally treat our own copyrights like inalienable rights, that other better not violate, are at a moral dilemma. I want more than anything to use all my favorite songs when I make videos and post them on the web. But why should I treat someone else intellectual property with a different regard than I want people to treat mine? Great Song though. You should at least credit it at the end.

As for the other things, you want to either set the camera into a custom white balance mode (can't remember if the K-x has that), or in one of the specific modes, like cloudy in this instance. But even those will shift, just significantly less so. There is something in the menus call White Balance Adjust Range, which is defaulted to allow even the specific WB setting to shift slightly. You can set that to Fixed, but again, not sure if the K-x has that. K-5 and K-7 do. I'm pretty sure K-x does.
12-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all...

Fullerton: I did credit the song author/artist on YouTube... and I'd be happy to link to her song on iTunes through the video itself (with one of their YouTubey ads) if I knew how. I'm not trying to make money off her work (or any musician's) at all, and hope it makes more people listen to her stuff if they watch the video. In a case like this, I think it can help the artist more than hurt them...

But I'm not arguing with you either... I do know what you mean. If it were video work I was getting paid for I'd certainly use my husband's music, another musician I know, get permission or use royalty free. YouTube allows it because they know a popular video can make a musician money (and them a percentage of it). It's a grey area whether it's "fair use" or not. It reminds me a bit of the video game "Rock Band"... at the beginning it was a lot of cover songs to get around copyright laws... then big-time musicians realized the awareness/publicity brought them more sales... so suddenly they jumped on board.

I made a video a couple of years ago... a tribute to the TV Show "Jericho"... I used a U2 song, and all clips from the show itself. You'd think U2 would be a big no-no to use, since they are so HUGE, even iconic. It is blocked in Germany because of copyright laws, however, for everywhere else I was never asked to remove it, and for a time it was even monitored by the record label that owns the rights. It got over 11,000 views. Like I said, I think it's a bit of a grey area... and some musicians and their labels know that the publicity a video can bring can be very good for them.

For a recently slide show I did, I actually did use my husband's music

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
That's a nice little movie. How did you keep your camera protected?

Um... I didn't. I shot a lot of it out my car windows... when I did get out, it was for short periods of time -- usually 5 minutes or so -- and snow isn't as wet as it looks... I'd wipe it off with my wool arm-warmers and sweatshirt when I got back in the car.
However, this is a prime example of why I'll buy a weather-sealed camera when I can afford it

Last edited by DRabbit; 12-28-2010 at 11:29 PM.
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #7

That's a great video! I'm new to the K-x and learning about the best ways of recording video too.

For the soundtracks for videos, Creative Commons licensed tracks are really great. Sites like Jamendo have a library of CC music, although you have to watch out for the type of license, like 'non-commercial' and 'share alike' that stipulate how you use them.
01-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks JRB... I was out shooting video in NYC today so hope to put a new one together soon

I was actually just reading about Creative Commons licensing last night! I'm going to look more into that and also Royalty free stuff. Plus, hubby is a musician, so I'm going to try to convince him to make a little library of ambient music for me

01-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #9

Great! I look forward to seeing it.
01-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In case no one saw... I guess Ned Bunnell (President of Pentax USA) saw my video through DPReview and posted it on his blog (bizarre!)... I took the opportunity to thank him and request manual video controls on the K-5... LOL!

Video: Long Island Blizzard 2010 - Ned's Photo Journal
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
Banned

That is one of the best videos I have ever seen shot with a Pentax, I hope Ned will get the ball rolling for manual video controls on the K-5 after seeing how us Pentax users have been asking for it since the K-7 . BTW my Pentax lenses work great on my GH2 and a Pentax clone of the GH2 is what Pentax needs for it's next camera in the youtube/Vimeo era.
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
01-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Awesome on getting the exposure on Ned's Blog!

Also, I'm right there with you on the mass confusion of music rights ethics in the modern era. I feel like I should care as much as I want people to care about my copyrights. But then I think about the fact that watching to you video has made me fall in love with Ingrid Michaelson, and now I'm totally buying her music on iTunes.
01-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
just superb!
01-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Great video!! What did you use to edit the video?