Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New York City with the K-x

Second video project with the K-x. Now that I set out to use it all day and mostly handheld, I've got issues with the Moire and the overheating. *Sigh*... it SUCKS because I really like the limited lenses. I have a feeling I'm going to ultimately end up with the GH2 though, which is a shame. I could probably live with the overheating occasionally if the moire wasn't to prominent and if the camera offered full manual control in video mode. I'd REALLY like a weather-sealed body and was thinking of going with the K-5 to solve that problem AND my video needs, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Anyway, would love to know what you think... it's no masterpiece since it's all handheld.

BTW, song is "Until the Day Dims" by The Woodlands. Music licensed through FriendlyMusic.com which offers the ability to buy songs specifically for use in YouTube videos like this

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgMLXu3UqHM[/YT]

Last edited by DRabbit; 01-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Great!!

Being new to the K X, having owned it for only a few days (updated from a K200d) your video knocks the socks off my old P & S Fuji S8000fd and although it might be "bluish" in some areas, just wondering if adjusting the WB to cloudy would have eliminated if changing the WB is even an option, still haven't played with the camera enough to know yet
01-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Now that I set out to use it all day and mostly handheld, I've got issues with the Moire and the overheating. *Sigh*... it SUCKS because I really like the limited lenses. I have a feeling I'm going to ultimately end up with the GH2 though, which is a shame. I could probably live with the overheating occasionally if the moire wasn't to prominent and if the camera offered full manual control in video mode.
The GH2 is the way to go if you want the best quality 1080p HD video, 1.53mp EVF, full manual control and video recording clip limit up to 64GB instead of 4GB. It also works great with Pentax lenses.
First test GH2 with 50mm F1.4 Pentax FA lens @F4 - Panasonic GH2 on Vimeo
01-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The GH2 is the way to go if you want the best quality 1080p HD video, 1.53mp EVF, full manual control and video recording clip limit up to 64GB instead of 4GB. It also works great with Pentax lenses.
First test GH2 with 50mm F1.4 Pentax FA lens @F4 - Panasonic GH2 on Vimeo
I've seen it used with older FA Pentax lenses, but will it use the newer DA Pancake lenses? I was under the impression it could not because of no aperture control on the lenses themselves...

01-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I've seen it used with older FA Pentax lenses, but will it use the newer DA Pancake lenses? I was under the impression it could not because of no aperture control on the lenses themselves...
With DA lenses just get the PK-m4/3rds adapter with aperture control ring.

01-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice video DRabbit - creative use of the K-x, and thanks for the music tip!

The Fotodiox adapter that Jogiba mentioned works fine on the DA Limiteds:

The only thing it doesn't have is any visual indicator of the aperture selected. There are detented positions, but only 5. My M50 1.7, for example, has 13 detented positions between F1.7 and F22, so the Fotodiox appears to from F1.7 to F11 only.

FWIW, manual focusing on the GH2 is excellent thanks to a simple press the rear dial to zoom feature.
01-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info everyone!
I'm very torn about what to do... the GH2 is obviously a good choice for video, but I really wanted something weather-sealed that also did decent video. I'm cursing the moire because I could honestly live without the manual controls, and the in-body IS is so good on the Pentax! GRRRR!

01-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is this the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Aperture-Digital-Panasonic/dp/B0048AG03Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1294456576&sr=8-6
01-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yup, except it's $10 more now. That's ok, it's still much cheaper than the Novoflex. The ring that says "Open ------- Lock" is what you turn to control aperture. I mount the lens, stop down the len's aperture ring completely, and then rely upon the Fotodiox.
01-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yup, except it's $10 more now. That's ok, it's still much cheaper than the Novoflex. The ring that says "Open ------- Lock" is what you turn to control aperture. I mount the lens, stop down the len's aperture ring completely, and then rely upon the Fotodiox.
Not sure what you mean? Could you explain?
01-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Not sure what you mean? Could you explain?
1 - Mount the lens. If it has an aperture ring (older lenses), set the aperture to F22 or whatever the smallest aperture is.

2 - Use the "Lock ---- Open" ring on the Fotodiox adapter to control the aperture.

I forgot that you were talking about DA lenses without aperture rings. You won't have to stop down with those.
01-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks... I ordered it so I'm sure it'll all make more sense when it's in my hands
01-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
jjw3

Nice try at the video! I particularly like the shots in the tube where the doors close and the one where the other tube passes by. Considering the other shots it's nice to see New York again but they ain't really special. A point of attention would be to keep the camera level.