Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second try (tried really hard)

This time I made some promo video for the night club that I work in as a photographer.
short 3 minutes video+music mix about one night at the club.

If the club likes it, I will get the job of making more videos for them.

any constructive critique is very appreciated, for I will edit this video further and only then hand it in.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmaA6c-eEe8[/YT]

Well the video is quite noisy.. and I do not know what to do about it, so I'm open for your suggestions.

Camera used: Pentax K-r
Lenses used: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 & Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4

Edited in Pinnacle studio 12

Last edited by Mystic; 02-20-2011 at 04:10 PM.
02-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
To me it looks like something you would catch in one of the shows when they show A club scene. It shows the crowd having fun to the music the DJ is supplying which is always a good thing. I would try to get this into the hands of a promoter or club owner to try and get more work as well as have this on the screens in the club if they have that sort of thing. It could be a wonderful tool for more exposure
02-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #3

Hello I'll critique your so please return the favor.
it looks really good.the images fit the music nicely.
you may have wanted to high light the women's faces a little more.
as far as a advertisement tool goes it too long. shouldn't it be one min? unless hat is what hey wanted. I kept thinking some titles would pop up describing what i as looking at. so i feel that is something to put in. the images wee great and i'm going on ebay now to look for the lenses that you used. thanks!
02-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
To me it looks like something you would catch in one of the shows when they show A club scene. It shows the crowd having fun to the music the DJ is supplying which is always a good thing. I would try to get this into the hands of a promoter or club owner to try and get more work as well as have this on the screens in the club if they have that sort of thing. It could be a wonderful tool for more exposure
thanks for comment. I fixed something and already handed in the video to the club. the owners liked it, and said will hire me.

QuoteOriginally posted by pwrlogic Quote
Hello I'll critique your so please return the favor.
it looks really good.the images fit the music nicely.
you may have wanted to high light the women's faces a little more.
as far as a advertisement tool goes it too long. shouldn't it be one min? unless hat is what hey wanted. I kept thinking some titles would pop up describing what i as looking at. so i feel that is something to put in. the images wee great and i'm going on ebay now to look for the lenses that you used. thanks!
I will return the favour
that is not a commercial, that is a portrait of the night - that is St. Valentine's night at the club, so the length is ok.

agree about some texts, yes i will be putting texts on top of the other videos, that will be club's logo's dj's names dancer's names etc. thanks for comment.

02-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
thanks for comment. I fixed something and already handed in the video to the club. the owners liked it, and said will hire me.
Good deal! I think you should keep it as a demo real in order to wow more club owners. i dont know about where you are but, you make more money the more clubs you shoot I know a few people who shoot 3 or 4 clubs a night and make 350-400 a night. I am trying to do the same thing.
02-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Forum Member

Sory for the double post but, Why dont we start a topic for nightlife/club shots critique
02-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tremaine Quote
Sory for the double post but, Why dont we start a topic for nightlife/club shots critique
well do you mean only videos? or photos also? since I have many nightclub photography photos. while this video is only one yet.

as far as i'm concerned, you can start a thread, if i'll have something to contribute to it, I will.

cheers.

02-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #8
Forum Member

Just night life in general. photos or video. I dont think i have seen a thread like this here. I will do so
03-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

what lenses did you use for this video?

i think you should have faster cuts, not so many dissolves. on the beat of the music you know?
03-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #10

First I got bored after 1 minute. There isn't much interesting going on. When i analyze this video the main problem is that the style of music does not match the style your video edit. For this amount of dissolves I would not expect this kind of techno beat.
So I would do cuts to the beat first without any transition. Then shoot some closeup details and have a play with these - repeats, effects and so on all of it to the music.
Also get yourself a proper editing tool. Sony Vegas for windows is the best and Final Cut Pro for mac. If you really get into this work buy After Effects.
PS and I think there were too many shots in angle, but not in interesting angle. But I was impressed by the lack of zooms and pans that are so common when people start making videos.
03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hockmasm Quote
what lenses did you use for this video?

i think you should have faster cuts, not so many dissolves. on the beat of the music you know?
Thanks, I get what your'e saying. next time i'll try to improve.

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
First I got bored after 1 minute. There isn't much interesting going on. When i analyze this video the main problem is that the style of music does not match the style your video edit. For this amount of dissolves I would not expect this kind of techno beat.
So I would do cuts to the beat first without any transition. Then shoot some closeup details and have a play with these - repeats, effects and so on all of it to the music.
Also get yourself a proper editing tool. Sony Vegas for windows is the best and Final Cut Pro for mac. If you really get into this work buy After Effects.
PS and I think there were too many shots in angle, but not in interesting angle. But I was impressed by the lack of zooms and pans that are so common when people start making videos.
your'e right, in the first minute, there's nothing much going on, and it may be a little boring, thanks for noting it.
thanks for critique about transitions and style of music vs. style of editing.

I'll get me a sony vegas for now.
thanks for a thoughtful critique.
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't have much to add about the video, but congrats on landing the job.

I'm uncertain whether I saw lasers in the video. If that club does has laser machines, my word of advice would be to make sure you keep the sensor pointed away from them. High-intensity lasers can permanently damage your sensor if they directly hit your sensor.

- Jason
03-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
I don't have much to add about the video, but congrats on landing the job.

I'm uncertain whether I saw lasers in the video. If that club does has laser machines, my word of advice would be to make sure you keep the sensor pointed away from them. High-intensity lasers can permanently damage your sensor if they directly hit your sensor.

- Jason
ups

I have many pics where lasers are everywhere in the frame and almost directly to the camera..

is it a myth? ar reality? would they really damage my camera?

what would warranty say about such a failure?
03-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote
ups

I have many pics where lasers are everywhere in the frame and almost directly to the camera..

is it a myth? ar reality? would they really damage my camera?

what would warranty say about such a failure?
03-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
oh man it's real!!

thanks for warning, I'll take that into consideration..

hope it won't affect my neighborhood