Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What's your video rig?

On the photo side, we all have our special gear (tripods, straps, etc). I'm still new to the video rig scene, and I'm curious what everyone else is using with their video DSLRs.

I'll start. The photo below is pretty much the my entire video rig pieced together. It's a bunch of purchased stuff pieced together into a modular rig.

Attached to the two tripods is a Konova slider. This piece allows me to do short dolly motions. It provides a very smooth back-and-forth or side-to-side motion.

Directly attached to the slider is a Manfrotto 700RC2 video head. I don't believe this is a true fluid head, but it does provide me with adequate fluid-like pan and tilt motion. I like using this Manfrotto head because I can use my existing collection of RC2 quick-release plates. These quick-release plates are key to making my entire system modular.

Directly attached to the fluid, via a Manfrotto RC2 quick release plate and a tripod to double-rail adapter, is a mobile handheld rig that I named "Stowaway Stu." It's mainly based on an express35 Run-N-Gun Duo rig with most of the aluminum rails replaced with carbon fiber rods to save on weight. I have 2 jag35 single rail clamps that are attached to one of the two main rails on Stowaway Stu. One of these rail blocks is holding an Okii USB follow focus (FF), which lets me control the AF motor like a regular follow focus would on my 5D; if I am using the K-5, I have an indiFOCUSmini follow focus with several snap gears that attach to the lens. The other rail block is holding the Azden SMX-10 shotgun mic; the positioning of the mic was done in order to minimize the mic's exposure to the lens AF if using the Okii USB FF. Lastly, I have a Manfrotto 323 quick-release shoe onto which my DSLR, fitted with another RC2 plate, locks into.

My use of the RC2 plates lets me modularize everything. I can quickly detach my DSLR from Stowaway Stu and mount it directly to the fluid head, or my regular camera tripod, which has a Manfrotto 484RC2 ballhead w/ RC2 shoe. Similarly, I can quickly detach the Stowaway Stu rig and go handheld, or transfer it to the tripod for additional stability.

Not pictured is an Azden WLX-PRO wireless lavalier mic and a HDV-Z96 LED light array.

Now that I explained my crazy rig, I want to see what you use as a video rig.

- Jason

Attached Images

03-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

Very nice video setup. I'm currently just having my 5D II and T2i on sticks w/ cheap hdmi monitor, and copied LCDVF. That Konova slider and USB FF looks very interesting.
04-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

from all the looking around i have done starting up my own rig.... looks like you have done a good job of finding the best 'bang for you buck' parts, you've helped me out alot. How is the indiFOCUSmini working for you? I've read mixed reviews.
04-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have mixed opinions on the indiFOCUSmini follow focus. I really dislike their snap gear system. While the snap gears make it easy to quickly attach to and detach from the lens' focus ring, the snap gears are quite bulky and somewhat heavy; this bulk becomes somewhat burdensome if traveling. You also need to have the proper adhesive rubber grips attached, or you won't have an even grip on the focus ring; this will lead to gear slippage or very tight fit, making it difficult to turn focus.

If I had a second chance, I'd settle for the D|Focus v3 instead.

- Jason

04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Jason,

I just order a Manfrotto 701HDV pan head for shooting video. Planning to get a slider. Can you recommend one around $100?
I am also thinking of getting a carbon fiber tripod - is carbon fiber tripod good for video? I do hope my video gear setup can also be use for photography..

Lee
04-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Hello Jason,

I just order a Manfrotto 701HDV pan head for shooting video. Planning to get a slider. Can you recommend one around $100?
I am also thinking of getting a carbon fiber tripod - is carbon fiber tripod good for video? I do hope my video gear setup can also be use for photography..

Lee
At $100, you're not going to find many pre-built slider options. At that price, you're gonna have to resort to a DIY project. Igus makes a linear motion system that many videographers have turned into a decent slider. The cheapest option starts at $159 though. If you really want to stay below $100, your best bet would be to make a slider out of PVC piping and felt.

I'm not the best person to recommend tripods, but from what I've experienced so far, you're going to want a tripod that can really support heavier loads, more than you would expect with just camera gear. The reason is that you will most likely have a rig that will mount on top of the tripod. If you're just going to mount a DSLR and record video, then any decent tripod should work. I personally just use my camera tripods (as shown in the picture in the original post) and monopods with no problem.

- Jason

Last edited by inferno10; 04-28-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Looks like Lee already got a proper tripod head.
05-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
At $100, you're not going to find many pre-built slider options. At that price, you're gonna have to resort to a DIY project. Igus makes a linear motion system that many videographers have turned into a decent slider. The cheapest option starts at $159 though. If you really want to stay below $100, your best bet would be to make a slider out of PVC piping and felt.
- Jason
That is what I realized... the cheapest is the Igus one. I feel the 701HDV is overkill (it is recommended in one of the slider DIY project video (501DHV to position the slider and 701HDV to position the camera), I feel that 701HDV +700RC2 is actually adequate, and reasonably portable (pack for travel).

Lee