Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
External Audio recorders- Zoom H4n?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What do you think about this?

Zoom H4n Handy Recorder | Sweetwater.com

I need both onboard mics as well as XLR inputs. This one will record all 4 at the same time (stereo ambient plus 2 XLRs) $300. (This is for work, but relates to this forum since we will be using it to capture audio for the DSLR We hav, or my personal K-x if I were to use it at work.)

How does that compare to what you guys are using?

03-14-2011, 02:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use H1 and it is plenty for me. Actually I like it better than H4. It is smaller and cheaper. Sound quality is pretty good even with built in mics. It really is handy to use, light weight and simple navigation. And transfer to computer as easy.
Two things to note is that it picks up handling noise so I never hold it by hand. Even monopod will help a lot. And wind noise is very strong even when moving around the room. So make sure you have a proper windjammer.
windjammer windscreen fur zoom H4N zoom h4 n deadcat on eBay (end time 11-Apr-11 15:21:55 BST)
03-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always used minidisks for outdoor interviews when I worked in radio because they're so light and portable and virtually indestructable. Most can be set up for stereo recording, but they don't have XLR inputs, of course. Zoom have been pretty consistent in making decent equipment for a reasonable price. That H4 looks very tempting indeed, very well spec'ed, versatile and not expensive. You don't say what you'll be recording, but the H4 seems to be a pretty flexible unit for anything at all.
03-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My recorders are one or all three of these:
Tascam DR1, Sony HDMD & Sony DAT100.

DR1 is quite like that Zoom, without the 'crossed swords' microphones--- along with the issues of picking up the mechanical coupling 'noise' problem.
The mics are really good, the functions easy to work, and lots of good connectability.
I don't think the DR-1 is as expensive as the Zoom (but the spec reads about the same.)

HDMD is small, rugged, and high quality.
Yet, MD is kind of becoming passe`.
You can find the stuff still- but availability seems to be waning somewhat.

DAT- who knew? it's definitely off the horizon now.
Only hi-end audio pros use it now.
As well, it's linear (obviously.) But it is quite fine.

XLR inputs? Nothing an F-XLR to mini mono adapter won't handle.
(to that end- always buy Canare and or Mogami, best there is, lasts a lifetime.)

I carry an audio 'trick' bag with every kind of connection known to man- even Dave Clark 1/4's!
It's even got alligator clips, bare wire and mag contacts in case I hit something untoward needing to get recorded.

For microphones; a really nice Audio-Technica DD wireless, a handful of also ran wireless, Sony ECM 55B lav mic, two PZM's (outstanding mics), a Bher handheld, and a Sony small shotgun.
A Behringer XEYNX 802 mixer comes in real handy too.
[I take fold back leads to do iso to one or the other portable recorders, as may required.]

More than you wanted to know perhaps.

Good luck with your acquisition.

03-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I own the H4n, it's very nice sounding. I am a musician and I use it to record live performances and rehearsals. Especially for rehearsals, where I can go 4-channel and plug a line from the mixer to separately record the singer's voice (usually drowned by the band in real life) so I can bump it up in post.

I must say it's quite bulky and is very awkward on top of our DSLR's though. The H1 may be more "hotshoe friendly."