Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's the cheapest audio recorder with XLR inputs?

need to record external audio with my xlr lavalier mics. i have been using another camcorder for that, but i want just an audio recorder since i don't use the video part of it.

anyone know of a cheap good option?

03-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yamaha makes a couple of Audio interfaces that USB to a laptop if you are set up stationary. I think I paid @ $100 for the one I have. Came with cubase AI 4 so all and all a pretty good deal. Haven't really looked at handhelds. Sweetwater has some pretty good prices for audio gear.

Shu
03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you want a portable setup, I highly recommend the Zoom H4n. This portable recorder lets you add up to 2 external inputs, either via XLR or 1/4"-phone jack. The H4n also has its own built-in stereo mic, and can record up to 4 channels so you can combine the built-in stereo mic with your 2 additional external inputs. This model records 24-bit audio at 96kHz, which is much better than the K-5. It has a tripod mount if you want to attach it to a tripod or to your rig. It's also very rugged. The H4n takes SDHC cards and can connect to your computer via USB 2.0. It is a bit pricey though at $299 (Amazon.com: Zoom H4n Handy Portable Digital Recorder: Musical Instruments), but you get a great stereo mic recorder that can record 4 channels with timestamps.

- Jason