Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

'Diary of a Salesman' - Short Film shot entirely on PENTX KX

Hello guys

My name is Dennis and i’m an amateur filmmaker and i have just finished my first short film. It is made with no budget entirely on PENTX KX with a 1.7 50mm lens. I worked 1 year on it on my spare time with the help of many good friends.

Synopsis
Michael is a salesman willing to use any tactic to close the deal. When the rush of seducing customers begins to fade and sales falter, he must consider his past and remember what is important in life.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
Dennis

03-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yea, it is nicely made. Edit is great, cast is very believable, story interesting enough and running smooth. Must have been good story board. Well done.
You were shooting a lot so how did you find Kx perform? Did you use any other gear to tripod and how much you could shoot hand held? I am interested about technical side of this. While I have been doing video for 8 years I am just starting with K-5 as my main camera.

Last edited by vanakaru; 03-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.
03-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Will watch later. Just a heads if you are say watching on an iPad as you son or daughter is reading 2 feet away (me when first started watching) if has some colorful language you may not want 10 year old hearing ;-) lol looked good for first 20seconds before hitting stop ;-) just a warning!
03-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very well done, I throughly enjoyed it

03-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Will watch later. Just a heads if you are say watching on an iPad as you son or daughter is reading 2 feet away (me when first started watching) if has some colorful language you may not want 10 year old hearing ;-) lol looked good for first 20seconds before hitting stop ;-) just a warning!
Oh no! I did't even notice.
03-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys

Thank you very much for the good feedback.

Pentax and a tripod was my only gear. Most of the shots are hand held because my friends helped me and i had to finish everything fast with no time really to prepare a tripod shot.

This camera was great though for what i needed. The main thing that convinced me to buy it was the fact that i can put old manual pentax lenses on it.
The camera performed well most of the time and i had only minor problems that you guys are probably familiar with like:

Sometimes the video gets brighter for a few frames and i don't know how to fix it.
It is noticeable at the end when Michael is talking on the phone.

Also, the camera is not great in low light conditions. Some scenes contain lots of noise.

I'm so sorry for not warning before for the language. I should have warned you guys before.

- Dennis
03-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisG Quote
I'm so sorry for not warning before for the language. I should have warned you guys before.

- Dennis
Language is just a language. One of my favorite movies is Jim Jarmuch's Night on Earth especially NY scene. Good illustration of language.

03-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for the good feedback.

Pentax and a tripod was my only gear. Most of the shots are hand held because my friends helped me and i had to finish everything fast with no time really to prepare a tripod shot.
- Dennis
I thought you were using some sort of contraption to make the shake. So the shaky camera was all handheld?
03-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
superb movie!
A good story line and well put in the scene. The actors are pretty good to.
03-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

- Dennis
You might want to edit the original post to add NSFW language. Doesn't affect me personally, but in some workplaces it can be an issue.
03-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great Job Dennis.

it was interesting to watch.
thanks for sharing.

i did not notice any technical issues, although my small critiques to potentially help you are

when the guy was refused first time, I think the sound of shutting wasn't at the exact timing.

also, when the guy was constantly getting closed doors, these doors were closing very softly, I think they could be closing a little harder, for the effect to be better portrayed. although, I might be wrong, or it could be a matter of taste.

thanks for sharing.
03-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks

All the shaky footage was hand held.

I agree regarding the doors closing. It should have been better and the plan was to have more doors and make it more realistic as oppose to what is now - a more stylistic approach to it. It all came down to time and not having enough good footage to make it work.

Thank you guys again and please share it with people if you like it.

- Dennis
03-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #13

Thanks Dennis.

That's some real, quality work. And a "one sitting" watch for me.

Great stuff.

John
03-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done. The music backing is superb. Well done by all the actors.

I agree with Patrick, the language at times does nothing for me, and is a bit of a turn off.

But then I am old and from another time, I suppose.
04-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bravo. It's nice to see talent. You my friend, have made something very nice. Congrats.