Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Large Videos

I just shot a quick 20 second video, and it's almost 60 meg. What is a good free video software I can use to compress videos? I want to upload stuff to Youtube, but that's a large file for upload. I tried Any Video Converter, but didn't have much luck with it.

04-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

And just think, your out-of-camera video is already compressed. You may want to let people know what platform you're using. You could already have some basic tools available.
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And just think, your out-of-camera video is already compressed. You may want to let people know what platform you're using. You could already have some basic tools available.
Good point.

1 pc is Windows XP, and one PC with Windows 7.
04-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

If you could get Quicktime Pro then Export for Web does marvelous job. Use Desktop 1,5mb/s quality.
However it is true that your video is compressed, but it is not done for efficiency but for quality. It is like sequence of JPGs(almost). Youtube and such use some kind of flash codec and will convert your movie regardless your video's codec. But exporting it from QT makes smaller file (its H.264 and loads faster) and for some reason looks really good on Tube and specially on Vimeo.
I use mac so this is my choice and there may be some equally good option on windows platform aside from QT Pro.

04-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I swear by the application called MPEG Streamclip. It can convert almost any video format to any other video format. If you don't plan on editing your video and just want to upload, you can convert your video to an H.264 MPEG-4 clip. This is a very efficient codec.

MPEG Streamclip is free, and it's available for both OS X and Windows. You can download it here: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

- Jason
04-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #6

Yes, that too. I have been using this Streamclip for many years. Only you need to know or experiment with settings. Export with different settings H.264 upload to youtube and see what is the best.
BTW if you see great looking video on Tube you can ask the author what codec was used. People are often happy to share their knowledge.
04-20-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I just shot a quick 20 second video, and it's almost 60 meg. What is a good free video software I can use to compress videos? I want to upload stuff to Youtube, but that's a large file for upload. I tried Any Video Converter, but didn't have much luck with it.
Just upload the file to youtube . I have never did any PP before uploading to youtube or Vimeo. BTW the K-5 bitrate is higher than any DSLR that I have seen since a 11 sec 1080p25 *** video is over 108mb and looks more like standard definition compared to my Panasonic GH2 with a bitrate 4x smaller.

04-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
I swear by the application called MPEG Streamclip. It can convert almost any video format to any other video format. If you don't plan on editing your video and just want to upload, you can convert your video to an H.264 MPEG-4 clip. This is a very efficient codec.

MPEG Streamclip is free, and it's available for both OS X and Windows. You can download it here: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

- Jason
Another vote for MPEG Streamclip. It's usefully, never had any issues, easy to use and free. I don't know how it's conversion speeds compare to other programs, since it's all I've used, but I've been happy with the conversion times.
04-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Bear in mind that YouTube is going to transcode your video to their standard. So when you compress your video down to upload it, make it a higher quality than they compress to. I believe they use a key frame every 30 frames and 3.5 to 5Mbits/s for 1080p in H.264. So you could compress down to, say, 10Mbits/s and maybe a key frame every 15 frames. You'll have at best a 3rd generation video by then.

Last edited by tuco; 04-20-2011 at 08:44 AM.
02-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Banned

You can Compress Large Video Files with DivX / Xvid and AutoGK.