Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First raw video w/ K-5 + FA*85

First raw video (unedited) to learn about DOF, focus, in K5.

How do you embed vimeo video here?I tried methods given here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/72412-new-bbcode-fe...bedding-2.html

But not working?

What are the good lenses for controlling DOF for K-5/K-7?

Lee

04-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The shutter speed is waaay to high, which is what make the waterfall look all choppy and like it's at times going up, not down. Exactly why the K-5 NEEDS manual video controls. You can somewhat get around that by using the appropriate amount of stopping down or using ND filters, but you still can't exactly control the shutter speed. You really need a shutter speed that follows the 180 degree shutter rule when shooting something like flowing water. If you were shooting in 1080/25p, then a 1/50th shutter speed would have been right.
04-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you try shooting with different settings? If so do post them.
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
manishved, I try another with 720 @30fps, will post again.

FullertonImages, I don't get it, in video, shutter speed means? I thought in video mode the shutter speed=FPS? Let me know...

I am getting a Manfrotto 701HDV video head for video shooting. Will arrive this weekend.... and looking for a good & cheap slider set up (common, they can't be that expensive!).

and some how my video successfully embedded..

Looking forward to more video shooting, and hope to share and learn from you all... we need more people doing video with Pentax slr.

Lee

04-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I can see the water running upwards as well. But when you think about it - if Pentax would know anything about the video and would implement it without user control, wouldn't you think that they would keep the shutter speed at 180 degrees by default. So at 25fps the shutter is 1/50 all the time and depending on light conditions the ISO and aperture are compensated instead.
BTW I use 16mm fisheye for worry free focus. However it does not work every time. But with pro cameras you need to think and plan what lenses you use and how you set up your shoot too.

Last edited by vanakaru; 04-26-2011 at 12:50 PM.
04-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is the raw footage with 30fps

hm... how come I couldn't see water running upwards? >_<

Lee
04-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Lee -

FPS, is exactly that: frames per second. But each of those frames stills needs to have a length, i.e. shutter speed. It's confusing, tripped me up for a while too. Think of it just like shooting a burst of stills. You're shooting at 7fps, but 7 isn't your shutter speed. You're shutter speed is determining how long each frame is, your fps is determining how close together/spaced out they are.

And just like shutter speed controls the appearance of motion in still, it does the same for each individual frame in video. But with video, it's just about creative choices, and more about trying to get it to look right to the eye, although anything can still be done when it's artistically intentional. Traditionally in film and video, the shutter speed should be half of what the frame rate is. So if you're filming at 25 fps, the SS should be 1/50th. Too fast of a shutter speed and the video starts getting choppy, like you're waterfall, or the opening battle scene to Saving Private Ryan. Too slow of a shutter speed and the footage starts looking smeary or soft. Shutter speed isn't something that is used for artistic means, although it can be. It's more about getting it to look right, which is almost always by sticking to the 180 degree rule. Difficult to do thought when you don't have manual controls.

04-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanakaru Quote
I can see the water running upwards as well. But when you think about it - if Pentax would know anything about the video and would implement it without user control, wouldn't you think that they would keep the shutter speed at 180 degrees by default. So at 25fps the shutter is 1/50 all the time and depending on light conditions the ISO and aperture are compensated instead.
BTW I use 16mm fisheye for worry free focus. However it does not work every time. But with pro cameras you need to think and plan what lenses you use and how you set up your shoot too.
Agree, the camera should be doing everything it can to stick to the 180 degrees. But in the camera's defense, in daylight and shooting at f/1.4 or f/2 or whatever that was, even at iso80, the cam would have had no chance of hitting 1/50th. It would take a good bit of ND to get the right shutter speed.
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Lee -

FPS, is exactly that: frames per second. But each of those frames stills needs to have a length, i.e. shutter speed. It's confusing, tripped me up for a while too. Think of it just like shooting a burst of stills. You're shooting at 7fps, but 7 isn't your shutter speed. You're shutter speed is determining how long each frame is, your fps is determining how close together/spaced out they are.

And just like shutter speed controls the appearance of motion in still, it does the same for each individual frame in video. But with video, it's just about creative choices, and more about trying to get it to look right to the eye, although anything can still be done when it's artistically intentional. Traditionally in film and video, the shutter speed should be half of what the frame rate is. So if you're filming at 25 fps, the SS should be 1/50th. Too fast of a shutter speed and the video starts getting choppy, like you're waterfall, or the opening battle scene to Saving Private Ryan. Too slow of a shutter speed and the footage starts looking smeary or soft. Shutter speed isn't something that is used for artistic means, although it can be. It's more about getting it to look right, which is almost always by sticking to the 180 degree rule. Difficult to do thought when you don't have manual controls.
I got it now. Very good explanation.
So, in K-5 we cannot control that ? Damn.... no wonder I don't see a lot video shooting with K-5. So do you know how other company implement this?

So 30fps we need 1/60 shutter speed. Is this information showing in any place in video mode? What if, after process, I make it to a 24fps video (I think this is the standard?), in this what is the ideal shutter speed?

I just purchase a Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head to shoot video and was thinking of getting sliders as well... so what can I do to get the desire shutter speed? I want shallow DOF - will be using f1.4 lens (M- & FA-50mm & 85mm are all I have).

Edit: Didn't realize there is a sticky that discuss about this. I will read that thread and try out more!
Lee

Last edited by LFLee; 04-29-2011 at 09:16 AM.
04-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you see a lot of film taken with Shallow DOP??? Not me,
Video is not the same as taking photo
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

Well, you kind of can control shutter speed too. This AE-L button trick. There is a rather detailed explanation on this forum. It is not as convenient as setting the value you need, but at least you can do it. And in most cases it does not matter.
BTW I am doing a project targeted to shallow DOF specifically. So my K-5 with Takumar 50/1,4 is well suited for it.
04-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Do you see a lot of film taken with Shallow DOP??? Not me,
Video is not the same as taking photo
Actually it's becoming a big trend in indie/short films.
05-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And in most cases it does not matter.
Hi, what do you mean by this? there is a way to fix it?
05-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #14

Most cases I let my K-5 do whatever it decides to do. Only with falling water and such I use AL-Lock put-on to fix on desired shutter speed in P mode and turn the dial to video while holding the AL-L button. This way the settings chosen in P will be locked on video as well.

Last edited by vanakaru; 05-03-2011 at 11:04 AM.
05-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most cases I let my K-5 do whatever it decides to do. Only with falling water and such I use AL-Lock put-on to fix on desired shutter speed in P mode and turn the dial to video while holding the AL-L button. This way the settings chooses in P will be locked on video as well.
I did the trick in the 'sticky' - use the AE-L in user mode (Av) in LV, then turn the dial to video. This trick is working in P mode too? got to check it out....

edit:
here is the raw footage using the user-mode-Av mode to get shutter speed at 1/60 sec.