Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to get the best video quality in youtube and vimeo.

I just think to share my experience.
I use OS X and after some frustrating uploading/deleting my movs in youtube and vimeo I strongly believe that Quicktime Export for Web produces m4v file that encodes the best by these online engines.
I use ”desktop” quality setting. The file comes out pretty small and loads up fast. Quality degradation is there, but quit acceptable. Any time I try to export H.264 myself youtube specially does a butchery to my video.

05-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Banned

I take the raw videos off my SDHC card and upload to youtube or Vimeo with zero problems using Windows 7 on my 6-core PC or Mac using Bootcamp.
05-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

In Final Cut Pro, I usually export using Quicktime conversion. If you're in Quicktime 7, you can do Export, then choose Movie to Quicktime Movie as the Export, and select Options.

I typically set the Compression to H.264, and the frame rate to 24 FPS, leaving Key Frames at Automatic, with Frame Reordering checked. I typically restrict Data Rate to 20480 kbits/sec, and have the Compressor Quality to Best, with Best Quality (Multi-pass) selected.

YouTube and Vimeo typically work great with these settings.

- Jason
05-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
In Final Cut Pro, I usually export using Quicktime conversion. If you're in Quicktime 7, you can do Export, then choose Movie to Quicktime Movie as the Export, and select Options.

I typically set the Compression to H.264, and the frame rate to 24 FPS, leaving Key Frames at Automatic, with Frame Reordering checked. I typically restrict Data Rate to 20480 kbits/sec, and have the Compressor Quality to Best, with Best Quality (Multi-pass) selected.

YouTube and Vimeo typically work great with these settings.

- Jason
I have tried this and many other settings countless times and Quicktime Export for Web encodes in youtube better. If you could try my suggestion and report back the comparison.
Obviously it would be one step less to find exact settings that Quicktime for Web uses and go out of FCP with that right a way.

05-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I take the raw videos off my SDHC card and upload to youtube or Vimeo with zero problems using Windows 7 on my 6-core PC or Mac using Bootcamp.
For me this has two problems. The uploading file is much larger and will take more time to upload and will waste storage somewhere. And I rarely load up something I have not edited. But yes there is zero problem to upload even 2gb file, but if it looks good in tube afterwards is an other story.
03-13-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Banned

Thanks inferno10 for such a nice information.
03-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CharltonChars Quote
Thanks inferno10 for such a nice information.
Yes, but Quicktime Export for Web/Desktop works easy and usually better, faster and smaller files. I wouldn't recommend anything else specially for youtube that is notorious butchering your careful compression work.
03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They both compress the video and scale the video to different sizes so the process is really out of your hands.
I also had this problem with one of mine videos but there is nothing you can do about it.

Vimeo is often better then youtube when it comes to this so for you high quality work use vimeo.

03-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use iMovie and just export from that... I haven't really looked into if it is giving me the best compression or not.. but it usually takes my MAC about 15mins to compress a 4mins video (older Mac).