Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #1

How Capable are Pentax DSLRs for video making without manual?

Hi all, a friend recently filmed a fantastic fly fishing DVD called Tapam with his canon 5D. I talked to him about the process, and he explained that of course all the focusing was manual. Pentax of course does not have manual focus in video mode. I don't expect to become a film maker, but if I get into video at all how capable are the Pentax DSLRs without manual for video making? I ask from the point of view of someone who has not done any video work thus far, so I want to know how important manual is. (I have a k-7 which will eventually be a k-5) Thanks all!

05-11-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
last I checked, focusing on pentax during video was manual only. did you mean manual shutter/aperture?
05-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #3

you can focus manually in video mode
05-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

So far Canon are leaders in vdslr and no other company even comes close (Panasonic Lumix is very competitive with 4/3 cameras). It's a bit of a headache because serious films and commercials are being shot with Canons for their low cost and high quality. I've worked with those cameras since I have access to them but privately I have primarily Nikon gear (in terms of quality lenses) and also a lot of Pentax stuff. Am still waiting for one or the other to bring on a competitive camera.

05-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
it sounds like I misunderstood what "manual video control" meant, as referenced in the below thread as well as others I read.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/115129-k5-manual-video-control.html

I thought this meant you were limited to the camera's AF when shooting video....but to clarify...focus is manual only, it is just that with our Pentax DSLRs as opposed to Canons there is no manual shutter and aperture?

Thanks all!
05-12-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

you can somewhat cheat in regards to manual shutter and aperture via setting the aperture with the aperture ring and turning your lens enough so that the lens is still on the body but not in the locked position. Afterwards, point your camera towards an area with the ideal lighting for your scene and set exposure lock to lock the shutter.
05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by phosphoro Quote
So far Canon are leaders in vdslr and no other company even comes close (Panasonic Lumix is very competitive with 4/3 cameras). It's a bit of a headache because serious films and commercials are being shot with Canons for their low cost and high quality. I've worked with those cameras since I have access to them but privately I have primarily Nikon gear (in terms of quality lenses) and also a lot of Pentax stuff. Am still waiting for one or the other to bring on a competitive camera.
Look into the viewfinder of any Canon DSLR and tell me what you see when shooting a video. The Panasonic GH2 has better video quality than the Canon DSLRs.

QuoteQuote:
Image quality is subjective. Some have valid reasons for liking the 5D Mark II and it's full frame sensor. Some will love the 60D's image. But Canon are now significantly behind Panasonic in terms of the overall video performance.

The Panasonic GH2 resolves significantly more detail with less noise than even the 5D Mark II at ISO 3200.

It's sensor is 3 years newer than the 5D Mark II's which accounts somewhat for the M43 sized sensor being able to catch up with full frame beast, coupled with poor image processor in video mode on the 5D Mark II.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/465-Canon-60D-versus-Panasonic-GH2-Full-Review-Part-2