Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

720p 25fps, class 4 SDHC?

Hey all,

I need to buy a 16 GB card to record quite a lot of HD video of my band playing live this Saturday. Found a good deal on a Transcend Class 4 card. Do you think this is enough for 720p 25fps, or do I need to go Class 10? Reports on the Internet are mixed, from "no problem" to "don't even think about it".

I have a K-5, so MJPEG format.

Ideally I would want to record continuous video for about 40 minutes. I hear that is impossible due to FAT32 restrictions, but at least 10-15 minutes of continuous video is desirable/necessary.

Also, the quality settings; is there a huge difference between * ("Good") and *** ("Best")? This is mainly going to be on YouTube/Vimeo/whatever.

Thanks for any help!

05-17-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A class 4 card will write data at 15MB/sec. This is sufficient for writing video data even in 1080P. A 16GB card that you talked about is rated to hold 240 minutes of video in 1080P. So only shooting in 720P you should have no problems holding the 40 minutes in "Best" quality.

Always shoot your video in the best possible quality. It sounds like you are using this as some form of publicity and who wants to publicize themselves in only "Good" quality?

Your actual limitation on the length of video is set by the camera not by the file type. The camera limits the video to 25 minutes or 4GB which ever is hit first.

Give us a link when you get the video done. It would be nice to see.
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
You will overheat the camera (or whatever there is in it) that will trigger the overheating warning. In case you have not seen this, it's red thermometer icon on the left side of your LCD. It comes up rather easy. I was recording a performance as well. Not very hot night - about 20C in sunlight. After 20min the sign was there. I removed the battery and the lens and let it cool few minutes. Then switched off the camera after every song during applause I was able to record to the end of the show without further warnings.
Just be aware.
BTW some say that battery grip will help in this somewhat.
05-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

I am using Sandisk 8GB Class 2 micro SD with adaptor on my K-r and have two of those. I have recorded video on full quality, haven't recorded more than 5-6mins but my point is Class 2 works.

Actually Sandisk Class 2 is faster than Class 6 of any other brands. My card gives somewhere around 7-8mbps write speed

05-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

From my experience, not all brands are created equal when it comes to card speed. I too have had very good performance from SanDisk SDHC cards, where even my SanDisk Class 2 card is able to recorder longer durations than my Transcend and PNY Class 6 cards. On the other cards, I see the orange card access light remaining on much longer than when using my SanDisk cards, making me think the other brands aren't as efficient (YMMV).

Also, a Class 10 card (even non-SanDisk ones) are overkill for this camera. If I were you, stick to a SanDisk Class 4 or Class 6 SDHC or SDXC card with the largest capacity you can find. You'll pay more, but you should be able to record longer lengths of video without having to worry about the buffer playing catch-up.

- Jason
05-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasPen Quote
A class 4 card will write data at 15MB/sec. This is sufficient for writing video data even in 1080P. A 16GB card that you talked about is rated to hold 240 minutes of video in 1080P.
I've seen specs like this before, but all I know is that when I put an empty 8gb card in my K-5, it says around 20 minutes available to shoot. I've never seen anywhere near the 120 minutes that that spec would suggest. Not saying you're wrong, but am I missing something?
05-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I've seen specs like this before, but all I know is that when I put an empty 8gb card in my K-5, it says around 20 minutes available to shoot
That may be because of the 4gb limit of single video file size.
05-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that is pretty amazing and good to know. I always was told, that I need at least Class-8 cards or even better... stupid me, instead of doing the math myself, I was believing others…

Anyways - even Class-10 SDHC have become dirt cheap these days. Just recently bought a 32GB no-name from eBay for small money and this works pretty well.

The limiting factor for me is not the card, it's the buffer size of my K-r. This will make me buy a K-5 pretty soon...