Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good value hotshoe Mic

I am off on holiday to Cornwall in the next couple of weeks and when I was there last year I took many more videos than I expected on my K7. I am by no means a videographer but I found it a good way to create short 30 second to 1 minute memories.

The major issue I had was the inbuilt mic on the K7 is pretty poor: bad range, not very directional, quite and picks up the sound of the SR system really easily.

So I am looking to get a relatively cheap external mic. With better stereo sound I could see myself using the video feature a lot more - which is good because I did pay for it!!

I don't want to spend much for that £60 or £70 because as I said I am no videographer. I was looking at the Sony ECM-MSD1 which looks like a decent option and one of very few in that price range that perform OK.

Has anyone used this with a Pentax DSLR? I've read some people saying the hotshoe mount may not fit non-sony cameras?

Thanks in advance.

05-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a Rode Video microphone. I think it runs 150 dollars (at least it did), but it definitely is nice quality and does an excellent job.
05-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use a Rode Video microphone. I think it runs 150 dollars (at least it did), but it definitely is nice quality and does an excellent job.
Another vote for the Rode Video Mic. It's a shotgun, and sounds great, even better than some more expensive mics.
05-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's about £80 in the UK which is OK, a little more than I was looking for.

How robust is it? It looks a little delicate?

05-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's not the most robust one out there, and it's also one of the larger units on the market. But if you want smaller and tougher, you're going to pay for; and many of the other options don't sound as good as this one does. There's a new Rode VideoMic Pro, which is smaller and tougher, as well as the Sennheiser MKE 400, which is the same, but they are both more money. The VideoMic Pro sounds beter thanthe MKE 400, in my opinion, and the I think the standard VideoMic has a slight edge over the pro.

I don't think you will find a better deal than the $150 VideoMic. That's really cheap, and it sounds pretty darn good. You don't want to go cheap on audio.

Here's a video comparing the three mics mentioned, and another.

Cheers,

Ben
05-29-2011, 03:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that video review very useful.
06-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for the cheaper Rode stereo videomic. I just traveled one last weekend without a case, just shoved in my computer case with the body and lenses flew here and there, shuttled to a sports event repeatedly each day for 4 days and it isn't any flimsier now than when I started. Yes, it seems less than bullet proof, but the fact that the mic is suspended by rubber snubbers means ambient camera noise is very well damped.

06-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine has held up pretty well over the year that I've had it. It has some rubber bands (snubbers?) that hold it in place and those are what break if anything does. I have had to replace a couple, but that's not too bad considering that it tends to just get pushed into my bag wherever there is an empty spot.
06-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Banned

I use a Rode Stereo VideoMic.

07-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that a deadcat on your RODE mic?