Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No Overheating Problems Contrary to Warnings

Shot a bunch of video footage with K5 this week. Shot individual clips as long as 25 minutes without overheating the sensor. I did overheat the sensor once while leaving the camera on standby for an extended time--shoot, standby, shoot, standby etc. over an hour or so. Stopped leaving it on extended standby and had no further problems over the next 3 days.

Note that these were VGA30 clips that didn't need quality of HD so got to shoot longer clips without maxing the clip Mb limit.

Shot one particular HD30 clip that abruptly stopped at just under 9 minutes without giving me the overheat warning so I presume it was maxed file size for a single clip? Didn't know it had stopped until checking later that evening but I was quite distracted as the clip was of an athlete I was coaching.

Note that I used a Rode Stereo Shotgun mic. (the cheap one recommended with the K5 on B&H site) and it did a phenomenal job. Was at an international wrestling event with loud audience beside me to the point that I couldn't hear specifics of a clinic on a mat about 50 feet in front of me. The mic. picked up the clinic quite well while downplaying the sounds of the ambient audience much closer than 50 feet but to the side, not in front of me. I highly recommend this type of mic...did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Go shoot video without worry about the overheating sensor issues that seem to be common on the K7, just don't stand by for long periods. Shut it down between clips and you should be fine.

05-31-2011, 08:12 AM   #2

Interesting, I shall try this next time.
09-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry for reviving this thread, but I'd better state this warning before any camera gets hurt. The camera actually knows better than the user when it's time to rest and cool down, and shouldn't be forced by any means. Remember that in the film days, it wasn't uncommon to let your rangefinder in the sun, and find it with a big hole burnt by the sun in the shutter curtain. That lens is actually powerful enough to kill insects, how hard can it be to burn a stain in a digital sensor?