Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

Grain Problem?

Hey fellow pentaxians. I have seen some really nice looking footage from many people with k-x and k-r cameras but when I use mine it has a major amount of grain.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Lens - F 50mm 1.7
Iso - 200
F stop - 4
Shutter speed - 1/50

Here is a screen shot of the grain im getting.

Attached Images

07-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A screen shot from Quicktime is not the same as posting your original image file. Show us the original.
07-21-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well it's a print screen from the video, not a print screen of an image. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
07-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm... How do you light your subject? If there's enough light, the ISO of the pentax's video will not pump up. =)

07-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good question actually, In that video I took I was testing out my lights also. There were two 60w Daylight lamps. Those are the ones I use when I light my subjects for pictures and can always get low iso and fast shutter speed.
07-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ah, ok. Hmmm... I think the 60 watts lights is not enough. And, as of my knowledge, in video mode of pentax is that you can't adjust the ISO or the shutter speed. You can only adjust the aperture and the exposure value. So, when the light source is not enough, camera will adjust its exposure through ISO. This is also my experience with my K7. I suggest you to use a 500watts halogen lamp as your key light. Oh, if you really don't like grainy video, use a plugin called Neat Video. It's a plugin for Sony Vegas and After Effects and Premier. It's a very nice plugin to reduce noise or grains. hehe. I've just discovered that last week. Cheers! =)
07-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #7

+1 on the NeatVideo plugin, I have been using it myself with my Kx video footage, and am getting amazing results. Only complaint is that its slow to render.

On my intel 2ghz dual core, 3gb ram, win xp, using Vegas 9 it renders at 1fps. For a 10 minute video at 720p that ended up being 14,400 frames and took 4 hours to render, but the result was a silky smooth video. So it was worth the wait.