Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Alternative to using Pentax Body for Video??

So i am going to be doing the photography for my sisters wedding in a couple weeks. I would like to be able to use both my K-5/K-7 with different lenses for taking pics. I had an idea to possibly get video of just the Ceremony itself. I was thinking of putting my GO Pro HD on a Tripod along with something like this

Ikey Audio HDR7 Portable Digital Field Recorder HDR7 B&H Photo

to record the sound and then sync the sound in editing. I read that sometimes taking long video with the pentax bodies can cause heat problems. Does anybody thing this might be a useable solution, or should i just try to record the ceremony with one of my Pentax Bodies and a lense. Thanks for the help.

Steve

08-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your slrs should be able to shoot for a decent amount of time if the environment is not too hot. If you have both them, I would keep lenses on both, and switch back and forth between them if they start to overheat. Do you have access to two tripods? if not, you could try to get some hand-held "B roll" to use to cover the cuts between the two cameras. These could be shots of the details of the venue and members of the audience.

I'm not sure the wide angle and 30fps framerate of the Go Pro are as appropriate for the emotional content of the ceremony as the shallow depth of field and slower framerates of the K5/K7.
09-01-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless the recordings will be several hours long I think your SLRs will do fine- otherwise, a cheap camcorder could also do the trick!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You're not going to have a continuous recording time over 4GB on your DSLR.

09-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The GoPro is a wide angle so unless you can get the priest to hide it in his garments then it probably won't do the trick.

How long is the ceremony? Test out your cameras at home beforehand and see which one lasts longer before overheating.

FWIW, my Panasonic GH2 can record 90+ minutes without breaking a sweat. I ran out of memory card (16GB) before any heat issues arose. The camera was smart enough to break the video down into 4Gb chunks. I use Pentax lenses with mine all of the time.
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
What adapter do you use to have the Pentax Lens with the GH2?
09-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnosantos Quote
What adapter do you use to have the Pentax Lens with the GH2?
Fotodiox. The one with aperture control. Here's a pic:

And here's a still from a 1080p video using the DA70 IIRC:

03-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Banned

I do not think any other brand can work like Pentax. I use only Pentax.