Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

K5 with Atomos Ninja

Hey everybody!

Just wondering....if using the K5 HDMI out, does this provide a clean and uncompressed HDMI signal for live video out? Because, then you could bypass the mjpeg compression, and use the Atomos Ninja which would give you Apple ProRes 422 1080/24p. I can't seem to find if when using live video out, can you turn all overlays off and not get a compressed image?

Thanks!

09-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Most definitely not. The output on the K-5, and every other DSLR as far as I know, doesn't even output 1080p while recording, let alone uncompressed, raw video. They do during playback, but while recording it's either 720p or maybe even VGA resolution. Not really sure. No way to turn off overlays that I know of either. It would sure be cool if we could though...
09-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Got it. Thanks. Kind of a bummer. I know I'm repeating when I say that I wish they'd open up video on the K5.
10-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Tell me about it. If they K-5 had more video capabilities, at least on par with the 5D/7D, it would be the only camera I would ever want. I already regard it as the best DSLR for photography, for what I do. But more and more of my work is starting to involve video production and the lack of manual controls, 1080p/24 and 1080p/30, make it hard to use for professional video, especially if you need to collaborate with other shooters, who will likely be shooting at 24p of 30p. I have no interest in jumping DSLR brands, but I've been taking a good look at the new Sony FS100. But then it's even annoying even more, because if I buy the FS100 in the US model, which is what I would do, then I can' even use the K-5 as a B camera without having to transcode footage. Or I could buy the PAL version, and still have the constant problem every time I try to work with someone else. I'm not sure if Pentax realizes how huge of an issue the lack of these features is. I can see how amateurs wouldn't care much about frame rate options, but DSLR video has blown way above and beyond the amateur market. Professional video and film people are shooting tons of stuff on DSLRs, and no professional video production company is going to consider a tool that doesn't have these options. Two features and they cut out the entire professional sector. I hope we see video taken more seriously in the next body.

10-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

With you all the way on this one Fullertonimages! Please see my post yesterday under the "K5...manual video control?"thread.

10-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hey guys! Unrelated to video, but I took some photos of renfest here in md. Thought you might like it.
MobileMe Gallery

And yes, I'm in the same boat. I love pentax bodies, but man...they have to step up their game with video soon! I need to upgrade my camera body so I can shoot with my pentax glass. Now, I'm using a panasonic hvx with a letus adapter which is a beast to shoot with all day.

Please pentax!