Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-R Video File Problems on a Mac

I have K-R and decided to try out the video. I took a short video and inserted the memory card into my mac. Aperture 3 immediately opens up but crashes/freezes. Quicktime will not play the AVI file, but VLC will. So how do I prevent Aperture from trying to download the AVI file? Anyone else having these issues on a Mac? My fear is constant crashes when I try to download pics with a movie in the midst.

I find it odd they chose AVI file format. Just to edit it in iMovie and I have to handbrake and convert it, seems like alot of work.

Edit*
Apples website claims the format is compatible with Aperture 3
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4025

I have fully updated my Aperture 3 and my firmware on the KR is 1.11

Last edited by claimed4all; 10-01-2011 at 06:20 AM.
10-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Maybe you can reassign what application opens up a AVI file as default. Right click on an AVI file, select Get Info and in the Open with drop down list, select a something else if Aperture 3 is the default. Note too AVI is just a container format that can hold several different codecs. You want to be looking for support for Motion JPEG.

I don't have that problem with my K-7 video and Quicktime. But I'm using Quicktime Pro which came with FCP.

Last edited by tuco; 10-02-2011 at 08:41 AM.
10-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The codec for K-r video files is Motion JPEG. It sounds like you don't have the OpenDML Motion JPEG codec installed. Try installing Perian and see if that fixes it.

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components
10-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The codec for K-r video files is Motion JPEG. It sounds like you don't have the OpenDML Motion JPEG codec installed. Try installing Perian and see if that fixes it.

Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components
Worked like a charm, Thanks.