Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-R and iMovie

Who is using iMovie?

I want to directly bring my video files into iMovie but it just will not work. I tried converting with handbrake but it kept putting a clicking sound in all of my videos. I ended up converting them with Mpeg Streamclip and it worked but it made my file sizes twice as large and imovie was really choking on them. I am positive its not my computer, latest iMovie, latest iMac and 12gb of ram.

Can I import directly into iMovie?

02-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

I'm not sure I can directly answer, but here is an attempt: First, I never import anything directly into any application. I always move camera files via a sd card reader to a folder on an external hard drive, then import into the application I've chosen to work those files. My K7 records AVI files at 720p, and has no issues with iMovie. A brief peek at a Kr review indicated the same recording method. iMovie isn't supposed to care about a camera's native format as it converts everything to a 960x540 pixel aspect ratio and a progressive scan using the AIC codec. However there are some file types it doesn't like (all of my JVC video cameras, for example). It will only import full resolution from a camera if you disable the 960x540 method in iMovie preferences. I believe part of the reason for using 960x540 aspect ratio is because AIC files are inherently big.
If the K7 and the Kr use the same method for recording video iMovie should have no importing issues. The only thing I can think of that might cause a problem is a missing QuickTime plug-in. I've had Final Cut pro for so many years I'm certain I have just about every QT plug-in imaginable as that application installs with almost everything the video world uses.
I hope this little bit of information will be of help.