Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Video - K5 and 5D Mark II

Does anyone on here have real-world experience filming with both a Pentax K5 and Canon's 5D Mark II? I know they're different classes of camera, but I'm curious whether one has menus/controls in video mode that are a lot better than the other?

I'm contemplating a DSLR system for producing a small film; would love to do it on a Pentax, but a bit concerned - the model I use now (K-x) has a pretty poorly thought out video mode...

11-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have a K-5, but the general consensus is that Pentax doesn't do video well. Have you considered a Sony NEX-5N?
11-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that Sony actually might be a good idea for our 2nd camera...
11-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Canon is better for video, but you'll have to buy lenses.
The K-5 is usable but you don't have full manual control, which is more important for video.

You have nice lenses, so the Sony is a good recommendation, as is the Panasonic GH-2. You can use your Pentax lenses on both with an adapter. Fotodiox makes one that can control the aperture of your 35/2.4. Looks like your other lenses have aperture rings, which is nice.

Make sure you budget for lighting, audio, and support (tripods, shoulder rigs, etc...), follow-focus, etc.... Since the Sony is newer, I think the GH2 has more support in the aftermarket for cages and such.

Depending upon your budget, GH-1s can be found cheap. I got mine for $299

11-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-mount manual focus / manual aperture lenses are easily adapted to the Canon 7D, but not to the 5D.
11-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
K-mount manual focus / manual aperture lenses are easily adapted to the Canon 7D, but not to the 5D.
Question - is it a one-way street? After converting, can you still use on Pentax bodies?
11-08-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Question - is it a one-way street? After converting, can you still use on Pentax bodies?
Yes, with the 7D. With full frame camera you have to either work on the lens or shave down the mirror to make them work.

11-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

if just for video..u do not need go all the way to 5d mark II..
many people just purchase a much less expensive t2i/550d for video use only
I am really envy of canon user for video segement...even low-end model like t2i can have much better video control than semi-pro k-5

Last edited by liukaitc; 11-08-2011 at 10:00 PM.
11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My friend has a T2i for mainly video. He also got some fancy community firmware that gives him tons of extra features. His videos are pretty amazing.
11-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a T2i that I use strictly for video. The firmware kenafien is talking about is Magic Lantern - simply amazing. Basically in addition to the manual aperture/shutter/iso settings, it gives spot-metering readout, live histogram, audio gain control, focus peaking, follow focus control via camera, expanded ISO for stills/video and a whole slew of other features you'd only find on high-end video cameras.

Here's a full list of features on their page, with video examples: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/550D

On the downside, the rolling shutter isn't exactly ideal for video, so there's still issues with video looking jerky if you're not using any stabilization. Also, the onboard audio isn't great, even with the manual control. Add a decent stabilizer like the Merlin Steadicam and an external mic or recorder (Zoom H4n is a good choice) and you have a very nice platform for making movies. Downside is the price of Canon lenses - luckily adapting my old m42 lenses is as easy as buying an adapter.
11-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I have a T2i that I use strictly for video. The firmware kenafien is talking about is Magic Lantern - simply amazing. Basically in addition to the manual aperture/shutter/iso settings, it gives spot-metering readout, live histogram, audio gain control, focus peaking, follow focus control via camera, expanded ISO for stills/video and a whole slew of other features you'd only find on high-end video cameras.

Here's a full list of features on their page, with video examples: Unified - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

On the downside, the rolling shutter isn't exactly ideal for video, so there's still issues with video looking jerky if you're not using any stabilization. Also, the onboard audio isn't great, even with the manual control. Add a decent stabilizer like the Merlin Steadicam and an external mic or recorder (Zoom H4n is a good choice) and you have a very nice platform for making movies. Downside is the price of Canon lenses - luckily adapting my old m42 lenses is as easy as buying an adapter.
My friend just did a video with a Jupiter-9(gave the video a really cool look) and he bought a Helios 44-3 and a Tair 11. He also has the Sigma 85mm and the Tokina 11-16, so he's set, and yes it was Magic Lantern.
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
My friend just did a video with a Jupiter-9(gave the video a really cool look) and he bought a Helios 44-3 and a Tair 11. He also has the Sigma 85mm and the Tokina 11-16, so he's set, and yes it was Magic Lantern.
Indeed, the two m42 lens I hold close are the Jupiter-9 and the Zeiss Flektogon 35/2.4. What I'm really waiting for though is Samyang's 24/1.4 - expected early 2012. But I may pick up some more russian lenses or cheap takumars in the meanwhile
11-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
What I'm really waiting for though is Samyang's 24/1.4 - expected early 2012
Rumors say soon, more like end of this year for the Samyang labeled version which will be available in europe and we will likely see the 3rd party labels Q1 2012...

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
I'm contemplating a DSLR system for producing a small film; would love to do it on a Pentax, but a bit concerned
I would be concerned also

I would check out the Panasonic GH2 - I have seen some incredible video shot with these...

EDIT: Here, check this out - I have seen video edits from almost every dslr on the market (in skateboarding, sort of my industry) and the GH2 probably produces some of the best video from a dslr I have seen in the skate industry:

Panasonic LUMIX GH2 "Skate" - YouTube

Last edited by joe.penn; 11-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.
11-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

anyway I am looking forward to pentax next model see how they improve video feature..
I really want to start learn video..but I do not have money to invest another brand camera and lens
11-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
anyway I am looking forward to pentax next model see how they improve video feature..
I really want to start learn video..but I do not have money to invest another brand camera and lens
The GH1/GH2 works great with my K-mount lenses.