Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Great job! What did you use to do the verticle pan @23 seconds?

01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
Great job! What did you use to do the verticle pan @23 seconds?
thanks. i just shot in portrait and added the movement in post.
01-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice, what program did you add it with in post.. I'm trying to do it in LRTimelapse, but I can't get it to stick with my chosen crops.
01-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should you be interested, I will often open my entire assemblage in Photoshop Bridge, which permits JPEG open in the Raw converter. This permits all of the photos to be selected and the same changes (crop, WB, sharpening) to be applied to each image consistently. The downside other then the cost of PS, groups of 1,000 photos may need to run over night.

01-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use PS and CameraRAW/Bridge to do most of my actual editing as well, I have been a slow convert to Lightroom. I have a new computer as of this fall, and to do a 999 group of updating 10MP jpeg's only takes about 5-7 minutes
(Intel i7 2600k+ with 16GB RAM).
01-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by DoubleD Quote
Hi all.
With the full moon approaching I am planning to spend a night on the ridge overlooking our little town with a view to making a time lapse video of the light and shadows as the moon crosses over the valley and maybe some stars.
I plan on starting just before the moon rises and going for several hours so I am going to run into the problem of having different light conditions and I'm not sure how to tackle it settings wise.
From what I have read on the net today I would guess I should start in Aperture mode with a Tungsten white balance and let the camera look after the shutter and ISO.
Then I thought, if I set the camera to 30 second exposures at 35 second intervals I could set the apature, white balance and ISO and just let the camera sort out the shutter speed as long as it didn't go over 30 seconds.
Do I sound like I am on the right track or have I got it all ass about.

Finally got a break in the weather last night and was able to do a test run of what I wanted to achieve.
As soon as I work out how to reduce the movie from 220MB down to something manageable I will post it for some tips.
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of note, a Flickr account will let you store and post videos of up to 500mb, so don't fret over the 220mb size.

01-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #38

Nice, what program did you add it with in post.. I'm trying to do it in LRTimelapse, but I can't get it to stick with my chosen crops.
i use premiere cs5, i edit in lightroom and then import into premiere as a "numbered image sequence" that creates a single clip based of of the projects timebase. then you just keyframe the movements. with full res stills from the K-5 in landscape you get an extra 61% of your frame if you are exporting for 1080. i would have done more but my poor old corequad w/ 8gb of ram was really hurting just putting everything together and this was only a 59sec. ugh just need the new xeons to come out already.
01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heretic Talk. Burn 'em at the stake!

Time to be an iconclast.....

While I'm a BIG fan of Pentax K5 time lapse videos, the idea of adding hundreds (or thousands) of shutter actuations for each video is a bit stressing. To off-load this burden, I've begun to take advanage of Canon Point aned Shoot (hertic!) cameras outfitted with the Canon Hackers Development Kit (CHDK) software CHDK Wiki

CHDK adds interval shooting capabilities to most Canon cameras and if I burn thru 100k shutter actuations in 6 months with a used Point and Shoot so be it. Of course, the quality is not the same, so in my next major effect, I'll use a Point and Shoot for landscape and sky stuff and the K5 for the detailed time lapse stuff. Just trying to offer some additional tools.

If you are interested here is a 3:00 minute time lapse of sky, clouds, sunset and full moon rise with a 7.1MP Canon Point and Shoot. Yea, its not K5 quality, but the video reflects over 5,000 images displayed at 30 fps. And with a small point and shoot you can also grab 360 degree video shots (camarush | camalapse)

Movie-normal quality | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been eyeing some used canon P&S's as well as my grandfather has a SX30is superzoom that is nice... I saw CHDK when I was looking for any hacked firmware for the K-5 a few months back.. what a great little program they have there.. crappy little old P&S's shooting RAW and full featured. Their only limits are their hardware (lens/sensor/processor) and NOT the software abilities! Just awsome!
01-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #41

I got a long way to go to get to where you guys are but I am enjoying the practise.

Here's my effort from the other night. It's straight out of the camera and only 3 seconds long but shows what I was trying to achieve.

01-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautitful!
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Definitely a good starting point! Can't wait to see more.
02-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I just was messing around with an old Canon A540 I gave to my 5 year old daughter to play with.. I loaded CHDK firmware on it and now I can shoot RAW (DNG's!) and even to Time Laps shooting!! I intend to shoot one very soon! I'll post it ASAP!
02-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #45

Well I just was messing around with an old Canon A540 I gave to my 5 year old daughter to play with.. I loaded CHDK firmware on it and now I can shoot RAW (DNG's!) and even to Time Laps shooting!! I intend to shoot one very soon! I'll post it ASAP!
cant wait to see what you come up with.