Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aruk5 Quote
In this forum some nice folks have published detailed articles on how to achieve manual controls while in video modes of Pentax dslrs. Using these techniques I am able to set my shutter speed and iso. Aperture is given as an option while you shoot video. Now there is a problem when you use manual pentax lenses which dont have the A setting as when such lenses are loaded the video is shot in wide open mode of aperture. There is a work around to it and I am not comfortable with it as it involves slightly unlocking your lens from mount while shooting video. So to summarise if u use any of the new pentax lenses or old manual lens with a or f setting u can shoot video with manual controls
Am i that blind that i can't find them?
I know you can lock exposure and things like that but i've no idea how to select the ISO or Shutterspeed, first time i hear you can do that with the K5.
Can you explain that more or have a link?

If i had the money i would just buy a RED Scarlet and call it a day but don't have that kind of funds and knowledge yet for it.

01-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Almost all dslrs shoot great video but there are some serious issues in it which prevents serious pros from using it and one of the main thing is chroma sub sampling. All dslrs sub sample the original video footage to 4:2:0 including the 5dmk2. Under this system a lot of chroma data [color] is removed. Such videos inspite of the sub sampling still manage to look great but can create some problems when doing accurate color grading or things like Chroma keying [green screen] and u will notice edges or lines during chroma keying. There are workarounds to it but it gets complex under chromakeys which involve lots of objects or smoke. Anyway a pro grade camera records all video at 4:4:4 in other words retains all chroma and luma data while all dslrs irrespective of brand sub sample it to 4:2:0 which is similar to converting a 14 bit raw file to an 8 bit jpeg file and in cases of videos its more like a 6 bit jpeg file with more color info removed. Another serious problem with sub sampling is the appearance of moire. This is why when you shoot some fine material or certain objects in the distant moire appears and degrades the footage.

I already mentioned some pros do use it but not as their main camera due to above mentioned shortcomings. Most pros somehow manage to shoot some videos under controlled conditions but have realised its a pain under other conditions and reason why havent upgraded [in their viewpoint its actually a downgrade] to a dslr rig.

If dslrs come out without doing any sub sampling of footage and allow you to store video data in raw 4:4:4 format [uncompressed] maybe some pros will consider upgrading but then most of them already have the best video cameras - 3 ccd/cmos models which shoot cinematic 35mm style hd video in 4:4:4 format and gives u loads of options impossible to replicate in a dslr and overall cost [for them] isnt that much either

I would like to add one thing - I am not trying to say lots of semi pros or amateurs are fools to use dslrs for shooting their stuff. What I am really trying to say is that serious pro videographers are not fools to leave their quality stuff and downgrade to dslrs to shoot their videos
You're right about how important chroma subsampling is, but there are some things that inaccurate about what you've mentioned.

1. 4:4:4 sampling is more like the holy grail of video cameras; it is not by any means a standard feature of professional level video cameras. Especially not in the RAW format. For example, the Arri Alexa, which some people consider to be the single best digital cinema camera in existence, does not record 4:4:4 RAW natively. In order to record in this format, you have to record to an external device.

One of the great things about the GH2 is it does have the ability to stream uncompressed 1080 4:2:2 video, if you use an external recorder.

2. Many professionals shoot with dslrs. Not necessarily as their first or only camera, but certainly as an option. I have a teacher who shot a commercial that was shown during the Superbowl last year, which is absolutely the highest level of commercial broadcast, and he regularly shoots with his 7D.
01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In this forum some nice folks have published detailed articles on how to achieve manual controls while in video modes of Pentax dslrs. Using these techniques I am able to set my shutter speed and iso. Aperture is given as an option while you shoot video. Now there is a problem when you use manual pentax lenses which dont have the A setting as when such lenses are loaded the video is shot in wide open mode of aperture. There is a work around to it and I am not comfortable with it as it involves slightly unlocking your lens from mount while shooting video. So to summarise if u use any of the new pentax lenses or old manual lens with a or f setting u can shoot video with manual controls
I've never had any problem at all using my manual aperture lenses on either a Pentax or Canon slr. The aperture has always functioned the same way it does when shooting stills.
01-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I know you can lock exposure and things like that but i've no idea how to select the ISO or Shutterspeed, first time i hear you can do that with the K5.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-hdslrs/104903-guide-manually...ure-k-7-a.html

but it is a lot of hassle

01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much but indeed what a hassle.
If its just like AV mode then why not copy all the settings? *sighs*
01-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #36
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote

If i had the money i would just buy a RED Scarlet and call it a day but don't have that kind of funds and knowledge yet for it.
Here is how I manually set iso, shutter speed in the k-x. I dont know if it works in k5 or k7 but I assume it should. Turn the camera dial to P mode. Also ensure green button is programmed to ensure p line gets set to shutter priority [tv] or aperture priority. While in P mode set whatever iso and shutter speed u want and press the ae-lock button [it shud be programmed to lock exposure and not focus]. After this turn the camera to video mode and immediately press the ae lock button again [u will not need to do this when u r using a manual lens as it continues to be locked but when using any af lens the ae lock gets unlocked within a few seconds of going to video mode so its important that u immediately press the ae lock button to ensure the shutter and iso u set in p mode is retained]

By the way under p mode u cannot manually set a specific shutter speed and u need to point the camera at a light source to get a desired shutter speed. its a hassle but u cant do anything else. So say u want a low shutter speed point it at some dark region [it will also be a good idea to set metering to spot instead of centre or matrix metering] the shutter speed numbers will keep changing rapidly. The instant u get a shutter speed number u want press the ae lock button. Ensure the lowest shutter speed is 1/25 as if its anything lower and u go to video mode the shutter speed lower than 1/25 gets disabled and video goes in to auto shutter speed mode. Iso however continues to be the same though its the shutter speed which will keep chaging

By the way any color scheme u retained in p mode such as natural or portrait gets transferred to video mode. Also if u wanna shoot cross processed video ensure in p mode the jpeg option is selected and chose cross processing as an option. So when u turn to video mode u get to shoot real time cross processed video [for that retro cool look]
U already know u can change aperture once in video mode but if u want aperture to also be set under P mode then programme green button to P line which will also set aperture and shutter speed. if u r using a manual lens whatever aperture set on lens will be used to shoot the video and not wide open

By the way the shutter speed and iso and ae lock get disabled the minute the camera switches off. So ensure when you are shooting video you dont switch off the camera and set the camera to go into standby mode when not in use. So say u shoot a video and wanna have same settings next day then ensure camera is in standby mode so next day when it comes out of standby the shutter and iso continue to be the same.

Anyway the method I gave works for the K-x and as I havent used the k5 or k7 I dont know if it will work but suggest you try and see.

Last edited by aruk5; 01-31-2012 at 04:24 AM.
02-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like the K-01 will have more manual cotroll so might get that one. ^^