Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Shooting Videos Outdoors

I was going to specify "with a Kr" in the title, but I figured that it probably didn't make a difference.

I decided to try to take some video today with my Kr and found it impossible. Today was an especially sunny day and I just could not figure out if I was in focus or not. I'm assuming the only way to take video on the Kr is through live view (I'm really hoping it's not). Is there a way to take video through the view finder?

I was trying to shoot through manual focus because I had moving subjects. I've never been able to find a way to get the auto focus to track a subject. Is there a way to do this?

Has anyone else attempted to shoot video on a bright sunny day and found a way to do it? I'd like to try again tomorrow, but if there aren't any clouds in the sky, I just don't see how this is possible. Hoping I can get some tips from someone.

Thanks ahead of time.

04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cameras cannot take video using the viewfinder since the mirror must be locked up in order to have the video recorded by the sensor. It bears no difference to me whether I video in sun or shade, but I get your point. If you can hardly see your screen, how can you know what's in focus. Just shielding the LCD screen with my hand has been enough for me thus far.
04-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The cameras cannot take video using the viewfinder since the mirror must be locked up in order to have the video recorded by the sensor. It bears no difference to me whether I video in sun or shade, but I get your point. If you can hardly see your screen, how can you know what's in focus. Just shielding the LCD screen with my hand has been enough for me thus far.
Does that mean that you usually use a tripod when you shoot video?

I was hoping I could somehow use the viewfinder. I guess I'll need to figure something out. Thanks.
04-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You cannot use the viewfinder. The camera can only record and review video simultaneously using live view. You don't need a tripod to record video. The SR mechanism is quite effective at quelling camera shake from hand holding it. You do, however, need to keep focusing in mind all the time, and that's not a great disadvantage. It just means you have to have a hand on the focus wheel as you record.

04-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You cannot use the viewfinder. The camera can only record and review video simultaneously using live view. You don't need a tripod to record video. The SR mechanism is quite effective at quelling camera shake from hand holding it. You do, however, need to keep focusing in mind all the time, and that's not a great disadvantage. It just means you have to have a hand on the focus wheel as you record.
I meant that you must use a tripod since you said you sometimes shade the screen to get a better view. I'm trying to imagine how else you would hold the camera with one hand, shade the screen with the other, and then focus with a third. Unless...
04-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can multitask
Right hand stabilises, moves the camera left hand focuses and shields as necessary. Shielding is not needed all the time.

Even with a tripod, you'd still need three hands to dedicate a task each - one to tilt/swivel the tripod for framing, one for focusing and one for shielding the sun.

Realistically, you can focus reasonably well without having to shield all the time if you look carefully at the subjects sharpness on the screen, and don't stop the aperture down too much.
04-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You can multitask
Right hand stabilises, moves the camera left hand focuses and shields as necessary. Shielding is not needed all the time.
Good point. Thanks for the advice. Will try again tomorrow.

04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tried shooting video again today and results were a little better when I was able to get some shade on the lcd screen.

Just a quick question. Does the Kr have a tendency to overheat when in use in video mode? I don't know if that's what it was doing, but a symbol that kind of looked like a thermometer would occasionally appear on the top left side of the live view screen after I had been recording for about 10-20 seconds. Probably shot about 20 videos in that 10-20 second intervals. The main reason was because I wasn't sure what the symbol was and I didn't want to damage the Kr if it was overheating. The symbol was orange colored.
04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No idea of overheating. Never had it myself despite over 40 mins of video shooting on both my K-x and K-5. But what you have is evidence of heating stopping you from going on with video. It's there as a protective factor and thus you won't damage your camera. Enjoy shooting with it.
04-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So that symbol that popped up was an overheating symbol? I've shot for longer periods of time and never had it pop up. I tried looking in the manual to see what the symbol was, but could not find it in the manual. It was a rectangular object and it was orange. That's all I can remember about the symbol. I really have no idea what it was...
04-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never seen it either, and haven't seen it in the manual, but if it's what you described, it can hardly be anything else - particularly if its appearance is associated with a shut down of the camera's operations.

Overheating is dependent on ambient temperature as well as previous use and ventilation.
04-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera never shut down. I actually turned it off myself because I didn't know what the symbol was and I didn't want to risk it.

I was able to find a picture of the symbol (on a website) and it was the overheating symbol.

Pentax K-r Camera Liveview - Full Review If you scroll down and look at symbol 9, that's what appeared on the screen for me.

After reading up on it, I guess I didn't need to turn the camera off. Live and learn.
04-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
there is cheap LCD viewfinder out there.
I got one for like 50-60 on amazon, it works well for shooting video in sunny day.
04-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
there is cheap LCD viewfinder out there.
I got one for like 50-60 on amazon, it works well for shooting video in sunny day.
That is something I had not considered. I looked at some of the one's listed, some have good reviews and other have bad reviews. Would you be able to link to the one you purchased?