Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #1

image stablization for video - pentax kx

hi, i searched google and PF forums trying to find some insight on whether i should keep image stablization on or off in the video menu. i mostly handhold my video shots, but sometimes use a tripod.

what are other users personal preferences?

from what i did find, which was related to still shots, seemed rule of thumb was IS off when on a tripod. IS off when taking fast shutter shots. IS on for low light. but i am not sure how those general guidelines relate to video.

thanks in advance for any help.

i am planning a trip this weekend to seaworld for my gf's bday, and want to capture the memories the best i can. jittery footage would ruin my goals lol.

05-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IS will improve your hand-held videos overall, but it might also introduce additional noise that's sometimes audible in the video itself.

I'd recommend using a tripod for the best results (and yes, then you'll want to disable SR).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mkyyy Quote
jittery footage would ruin my goals lol.
Bit of a late reply, but if you have taken footage that is jittery, you can reduce it a little if you run it through software such as Virtualdub with the deshaker plugin (open-source software) or aftereffects if you want the absolute best you can get.
08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does SR affect video choppiness?

08-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
Does SR affect video choppiness?
I have seen evidence that the SR can cause distortion in video when the sensor shifts part way through the recording of frame. I personally don't shoot much video but when I do I have SR turned off.