Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Interesting in Video w/ Pentax K-x

I'm interested in trying to do some random video work with my Pentax K-x.

Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. Every time I look at the 720p Videos SOOC there is a crap ton of Noise in them. Roughly the same amount as shooting Pictures at ISO 6400+. It's not completely destructive but I would like to know how I can make the videos more clear. I have several relatives who sing, dance or play sports who would like video done. I have no problem recording audio externally.

What am I doing wrong?

How should I setup my camera for shooting video?

I've seen some amazing videos done with the K-x, even ones light by candle. I just don't know how to replicate the quality.

Here's an example which btw was shot with the Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/2 @ f/2

- S.O.O.C.

- After attempting NR with Avidemux

While it appears to have less noise it also appears to have less image quality after the attempted NR. I could have simply taken it too far.

Anyone shoot video on a K-x or K-r have tips for getting better quality?

Last edited by ChrisTrevino; 05-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
05-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #2

The thread you need to read is this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-video-hdslrs/104903-guide-manually...ure-k-7-a.html

Anyway, with your camera it will be a little different. I have a K-r. The thing is, you can't manually control camera parameters in video mode with every Pentax camera. So you have to trick the camera.
I guess your Rikenon is a manual lens. If it is a manual lens, good. Using ald manual lens is the only way to trick the camera and manage manual settings.
You have to move the "preset wheel" (P-Av-Tv-Video-M-Auto-etc...) to the position right before "video", which is "P" mode in the K-r. Then set manually the ISO value you want. Then you have to point the camera to a light source and move it around until you get 1/50 sec. exposure (in PAL countries, i.e. Europe) or 1/60 sec. (in NTSC coutries - US, Japan, Canada). When you get that "standard" video exposure (1/50 or 1/60 sec.) you have to press "ae-l" so you will lock the exposure to get the proper typical video motion blur. Immediately after this (don't wait or it will lose exposure lock) rotate the "wheel" to video mode, which should be the next position. Now you have exposure locked to the value you chose before (i.e. 1/50 sec.) and iso locked to the value you decided until change something or turn off the camera. Obviously you will have to manually control aperture to get proper "exposure" with the aperture ring on the lens, even when you are shooting your video. You can't change exposure and ISO otherwise you will lose your fixed settings. This is the ony TRICK to get what you want. Again, there is no manual controls in video mode in Pentax DSLRs. Good luck ;-)
05-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ya, there is almost 0 control on the K-x either. The only things I really can change are the White Balance and the Aperture.

I've heard the AE-L thing before as well.

Yes, the Rikenon lens is Manual so I'm used to changing that all manually anyway.

Thanks
05-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
[I]Ya, there is almost 0 control on the K-x either. The only things I really can change are the White Balance and the Aperture.

Every Pentax model has not manual control in video mode. Only if you youse a manual lens you can trick the camera.

I've heard the AE-L thing before as well.

This is THE ONLY way (at the moment) to achieve what you want.

Yes, the Rikenon lens is Manual so I'm used to changing that all manually anyway.

But if you want NO NOISE you have to set it iso manually and do exactly that trick. No other way.

Thanks
You're welcome man, happy shooting ;-)

05-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

I would also like to know how others have achieved such clean looking videos with the K-x, I've struggled to reduce noise even by using the above mentioned workaround which does appear to work, but even at a ISO of 100 (if it is in fact working that is) I still get far more noise than I would have expected. Here's a few of the tests I've done, they are mostly outside though as naturally the sunlight makes things easier.

Pentax K-x Video Tests - YouTube

Ever since seeing the munnbrothersfilms on YouTube I've been trying to achieve similar results!