Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best 50mm for shooting video on Pentax SLR?

I'm wondering, does anyone have any experience shooting with different Pentax 50's (or 55's)? I'd like to get one for shooting video. My primes are all M series.

My definition of "best" would be the lens that best combines image quality, long focus throw, and has an aperture ring.

My first guess is that either the M or K 50mm 1.4's would be most desirable, but I haven't used them, so it is just a guess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The DA*55 is out of my price range. I would consider the FA50 1.4, but I'm not sure about how convenient it is for manual focus.

Any help would be appreciated.

06-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Weren't the f/1.7's known to have better IQ?
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Volna-9 50/2.8 1:2 close focus

It's sharp, and has a star shaped iris stopped down, which makes for interesting video OOF highlights. Check it out here:

Volna-9 Macro 50/2.8 - bokeh

If you need faster or more circular iris, the Voigtlander 58/1.4 or A50/1.4 would work just fine. I find focus difficult to nail at less than f/2.8 in video though - and that's a very frustrating thing to find out after a shoot.
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inneyeseakay Quote
Weren't the f/1.7's known to have better IQ?
Slightly better sharpness at the tradeoff of slightly less pleasing bokeh, but it's really splitting hairs.

06-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would say manual focus isn't easy with the FA50.
06-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Manual 50's

The M42 screwmount 50mm Tak (Super-Multi-Coated version plus a K > M43 adapter) and the K's are probably the best built and best manual focussing Pentax 50's. I don't know if the 'M' versions are optically identical. Some claim "yes", others "no". However I'm not sure if you can do the AE-L manual video exposure lock trick with non-aperture coupled lenses on a Pentax K7 or K5. I now use my Pentax glass on a Panasonic GH2 for shooting video so it doesn't matter what type of lens I use.

I have a SMC-A 1.4 50mm which has a wobbly barrel. This makes it useless for rack focussing with a follow focus as the freeplay in the lens barrel causes the image to rock to and fro each time you reverse the focus direction.

Also the F1.4 50's are quite soft and dreamy wide open and need to be stopped down to F2 to tighten up. If that's an effect you like (it can be nice for certain things) then get an F1.4 otherwise an F1.7 is sharper wide open and cheaper.

If manual focus for video is important to you then I wouldn't bother with an FA50.

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I'm wondering, does anyone have any experience shooting with different Pentax 50's (or 55's)? I'd like to get one for shooting video. My primes are all M series.

My definition of "best" would be the lens that best combines image quality, long focus throw, and has an aperture ring.

My first guess is that either the M or K 50mm 1.4's would be most desirable, but I haven't used them, so it is just a guess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The DA*55 is out of my price range. I would consider the FA50 1.4, but I'm not sure about how convenient it is for manual focus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by pundit; 06-04-2012 at 10:02 PM.
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info about the FA1.4 and manual focus. I think the smoothness of the manual focus barrel, as well as the focus throw, are probably the most important aspects for me. I assume all 1.4s within my price range will be soft wide open, but hopefully they will sharpen up by f1.7 or f2. Thanks for the tip about the A50 1.7 - I've never owned an "A" series lens. I am able to do the AE-lock trick on my K-x, so I would hope it works on the K-5. Or on whatever SLR they finally put out that at least matches the video features cheaper Canon's have had for years.

06-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
It's not a 50, but if you can make due with the extra 5mm; this is by far one of the best Pentax fixed focal length lens; for either still or video.

Pentax Telephoto 55mm f/1.4 DA* SDM Autofocus Lens 21790 B&H

But since you did indeed somewhat mention video - this would also work, because the results would in fact not really be noticable in video - but this lens not near the abilites of the 55 in still.

Pentax Normal smc P-D FA 50mm f/2.8 Macro Autofocus Lens 21530
06-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For video you usually don't need quite as high resolution. What is more important is smooth focusing, without that affecting the angle of view or shaking the camera. I remember reading Zeiss lenses are especially good for that, but that many old manual lenses work well. You probably won't need the lens to be very fast, because narrow DoF isn't usually useful in video. I think the Pentax-M should work well. If you go on youtube you can find examples of video shot with that lens, and it looks pretty good.
06-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Which 50 for video? I suspect as with stills, it depends what effect you're looking for. I shot some nice footage with a Helios 58/2 wide open: the swirly bokeh was almost surreal. But it wouldn't work for every shoot.

Last edited by ihasa; 06-10-2012 at 10:39 AM.
06-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: [deleted]
06-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
the dfa 50/2.8 as a macro has a nice long focus throw. i would prefer that over a maximum shallow dof, especially in video.
That is a good point!
06-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an M 50 1.4. It was really a combination of features and price. I should have specified in my initial post that I plan to use the lens for narrative work, as well as interviews. I've just finished my masters in film production, and I am interested in using the lens on professional projects. In fact, I could have used it on a gig I was on last week, when the cinematographer didn't have one!

In my case, shallow depth of field is more important than macro focus capabilities, as I own a set of auto extension tubes, which are wonderful. Here is a link to my thesis film project, if anyone is interested. We shot the majority of it on a RED One, but there are a few shots we did with a 7D, and there are even a few car-mount for which we used my Pentax lenses.

06-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure why that embedded twice, by the way.
06-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #15

Great professional looking work. Acting, lighting, directing and camerwork certainly gave the impression you all knew what you were doing!

Pentax glass is generally very nice for video. You often see Canon DSLR video shooters choosing Pentax lenses over Canon glass for video work.

Now if Pentax would only produce an APS-C sensor camera with the video capabilities of a GH2 then we'd have something really good to stick our nice Pentax glass on.

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an M 50 1.4. It was really a combination of features and price. I should have specified in my initial post that I plan to use the lens for narrative work, as well as interviews. I've just finished my masters in film production, and I am interested in using the lens on professional projects. In fact, I could have used it on a gig I was on last week, when the cinematographer didn't have one!

In my case, shallow depth of field is more important than macro focus capabilities, as I own a set of auto extension tubes, which are wonderful. Here is a link to my thesis film project, if anyone is interested. We shot the majority of it on a RED One, but there are a few shots we did with a 7D, and there are even a few car-mount for which we used my Pentax lenses.