Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

penatx kx footage playback on playstation 3 problems.

hi. i have made a few videos with footage from my pentax kx, rendered at 720p, 1280x720 @ 24fps through adobe premiere. i am rendering from 6mbits to 12mbits vbr single pass in h.264 format. the playback on the videos is fine on my computer, on youtube, or streamed to my big tv through my laptop and an hdmi cable.

one of the things i like about my playstation 3 is i can use my laptop as a media server, and watch things streamed wireless from my computer to my ps3, straight to my hdtv. my problem is when i try to watch footage made with the pentax kx, the playback seems to play half as slow. this goes for video and audio, almost as if there is a format complication or something. other HD clips recorded with my sanyo cg20 stream fine over to the playstation 3, only difference is that its 720p @ 30fps.

could it be just an fps factor + limitation of the playstation 3/kx compatibility?

would rendering in a dif format make a difference? i mainly render in 24fps as that is what the kx records in,

this might not be a problem for others, but i just wanted a little insight.

06-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i think it's better to ask this on a playstation forum.
We have a playstation as well and i know it's quite picky in what it plays.
07-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

i ran into this problem before... PS3™ | Types of files that can be played

the playstation is jsut finicky enough to be annoying, but not finicky enough to disuse.

the last video i made and uploaded to my PS3 was an MP4 video:AVC 8.5mbps 1280x720 audio:AAC 320Kbps

now, i just sold my Kx and am awaiting my K5 in teh mail, so i can't work with it to verify, but i was almost sure i could directly play teh video files off the kx memory card.

FPS does not matter, i do films at 10, 12, and 15 fps, and sometimes render as 24/(30 for compatibility on Vimeo), but the PS3 is fine with all of them.
what it doesnt like is certain encoding. also, be sure you have all the playback formats enabled in your system settings on teh PS3.

if you are exportign from premiere, then the original codec/format deosnt matter as you can export in any format you want. (h264)
i will be rendereing the intro to my current film soon, so i will give you a heads up when i send a file to the PS3 to watch on my HDTV for proofing color etc on a consumer screen.