Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lights

I'm looking for some video lights.

I'm not 100% sure but i hope 5,000 lumen will cut it but i'm wondering what type of lamps to get.

LED is off the table, i don't want to deal with the colour quality so that leaves halogen and CFL.

CFL will run a lot cooler but how are the colours compared to halogen, does anyone know and have experience with it?

07-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anvh, I use a CFL based soft box in the studio and get good results from it. Not video of course so that might be different. The important thing with CFL is to get the correct bulbs, they come in a confusing array and are not always marked properly. All of mine are 5500k and seem to provide good light. They are quite bulky though and fragile. Be careful screwing them in or out, you can break them off quite easily.
07-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
there are full spectrum daylight balanced CFL bulbs and its similar to using a strobe as far as color goes. There are also some ballasts available now for CFLs to get rid of the flickering if I remember correctly
07-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
CFL it is then, thanks =]
Was a bit worried about the colours off it.

07-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Was a bit worried about the colours off it.
The regular hardware store ones will be erratic depending on brand. The ones sold by photo shops should be better and more powerful. At the hardware store I saw 2700k, 5000k, 5500k and 6300k ones and a bunch that were either not marked or said 'daylight' or 'cozy' or some such rubbish.
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah but the price and since the budget is very limited... I have been looking actually at led as well since they are more mobile friendly but those arent cheap either, still have a couple of weeks so i can compare things a bit
07-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should be ok with hardware store ones if you get a brand that states the kelvin temp on the box. Then buy all the same. That's what I did and since they last basic forever you are good to go.

07-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They do, im not to worried about that more about the spectrum off light, thats why im worried about the LED lights.
07-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm curious, can you describe your concerns about LED lighting? I have had the chance to use it a few times, and I have found it to have many advantages. I'm not sure what spectrum issue has you concerned, but I have not noticed any issues with the spectrum while shooting with them.

I posted this in another thread in this forum, but I'll include it here for reference. This project was shot mostly with LED lighting, as part of a 48 hour film festival, and the footage is ungraded.

07-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Led has a not even line, it has a peak in blue and yellow but it has virtually no red in it making skin colours look just not right.
And you cant fix this simply by white balance so that means i need to make a custom profile in camera since i can't shoot in RAW with the k5 making things just too complex to get it right... and they are expensive for the light they give of so tehy are out of budget.

Litepanels 1x1 Flood Tungsten | PRG TruColor
07-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I certainly understand budgetary problems, and they are a legitimate reason not purchase something. I would recommend giving LEDs a chance if you have the opportunity, though. I've never spoken to anyone who has been unhappy with them, and I've spoken with some pretty high-level filmmakers. This includes Larry Parker at Mole Richardson. He is personally responsible for designing most of Mole Richardson's lighting innovations of the last five or six decades. Larry has somewhat reluctantly resigned the company to jumping on the LED bandwagon, because he sees the trend as far as their benefits outweighing their drawbacks.

The biggest benefits for me is that they are lightweight, low heat, high output, and draw very little electricity. This, of course, means that you can pump more light into a scene while drawing less electricity than you can with tungsten-based lighting, which is invaluable when shooting without a generator. Gels can be used when you need something warmer in color temperature. I can't speak on the subject of compact florescents.
07-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But they use different kind of LEDS and i'm not planning to fork out over €4000 for 4 led lights... the budget is sadly far less then that, to be more precise there is no budget at all....
07-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you have no budget, you might want to consider chiina balls and 300 watt tungsten bulbs.
07-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Too much spread those china balls i think.

Anyway we can going to hire 4 professional 575watt lamps with standards and 2 dimmers, will cost about €25 for us so thats hard to beat up against