Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting an interview with a K5(s)

Hello all,
I was asked if I could capture an interview of several people, together or individually, with my K5 knowing that I have access to a 2nd K5 which makes for a better editing perspective. As far as I know the clip will be posted on a web site (very low budget) and may last up to 1 hour - finished... (?).
I have went through most threads on K5 video and I just want to confirm the following points I have an issue with and maybe some of you can help?
1- Given that the sensor will heat up over time, what is a safe length of time of capture? I have seen 5min max...only?
2- What is a safe interval of time for cooling down before resuming the shoot?
3- If there is a limited amount of time, what memory card is the best: 8, 16 or 32GB, given that several shoots may be recorded on a different folder on the same one?
4- Since this is an interview, focusing issues/live view... are settled as the camera(s) will be on a tripod, but should I be looking at other details and techniques to use of camera?
5- I have given notice that PP/editing will have to be handled elsewhere... of course, and they are looking at using students at a local Community College!
6- Last and foremost, is this project good for a K5 or should they plan to use better hardware?
Thanks to all for any pointers

08-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would hande the sound with something other than the K5 as it is not very good. I have not recorded anything for more than a few minutes but have had it heat up. That said I'm not sure the K5 is your best option for this project.
08-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So... You are asking if you can use a crescent wrench to do the job of a hammer... eh? Well, just because it can be done... is it a good idea?

Plus, an hour-long video of an interview? Yikes... Unless the content is riveting and it's known to the viewer in advance that the subject matter will be on the mid-term, or final exam, I highly doubt it will be watched by anyone from start to finish. Even though I'm an avid student of in-situ and street photography, the very thought of watching the excellent hour-long HCB video more than once in a blue moon gives me the willys.

For the your purposes, PLEASE use a dedicated video camera operated by an experienced cameraman (camera-person). Your audience will greatly appreciate the extra effort.

...my 2 cents...
08-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I agree on the length of the clip, it was my comment that it was too long...
Thanks for both your answers. Given my minimal exposure to K5 video I had a feeling it was not designed for that and I'll take it from there before they spend money on memory cards and an AC adapter...