Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-21-2012, 02:40 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Music video shot on K-5

Victorian Trout Conspiracy - Super Duper Electric Scooter - YouTube

Here’s a music video I shot (and directed) for a song called Super Duper Electric Scooter on K-5 a few weeks ago here in Scotland. It’s a fun, jumpy funky song by a Ska (and etc.) band called The Victorian Trout Conspiracy. Some mild swearing.

For those interested, here are some notes on the k5 for videography:

I used the Bright custom image mode with a little bit of further tweaking in After Effects, and I shot with the histogram up on screen, and the yellow and red warnings for over-and-underexposure enabled, so although we shot in bright sunshine on the LCD I was always certain of nailing exposure with the exposure correction (at least, getting it with maximum detail for later correction.)

Love the Shake Reduction – used with a (homemade) shoulder mount it looks pretty nice. Had some wobbly rolling shutter in a shot or two, but not too bad overall. I think the shutter makes the drumsticks look a bit odd, personally, and out of sync (which they aren’t, or at least weren’t before upload).

I used a 16-45mm Pentax-DA f4 for the wides (Never shot at wider than approx. 18mm to minimise distortion), a 55-300mm Pentax-DA at about 100mm for the bike sections to compress the background into the shot) and a Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 for most of the beach sections at around f8-11 for mild out of focus backgrounds. Used a Pentax-A 100mm macro for a few picnic close ups too. Occasionally used a 3 stop ND filter with the 50mm when the aperture number otherwise needed to be above f11.

Generally had to put up with the k5 being difficult when it comes to ISO and shutter speed, despite trying the various tricks to get it to fix the values I wanted.

Hope you enjoy, always happy to hear feedback and tips for improvement for shooting with the K5

09-21-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good! If somebody showed me the video before I knew what it was shot with, I would never have guessed the K5. Most importantly, it looked like a whole lot of fun to make.
09-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Very cool video! I enjoyed the visual and the music a lot
09-22-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks manacho2005 and Zaphodmonster, I appreciate your comments

It was fun, so I'm glad that shows! I've used Canon cameras too - 7d, 550d, 600d, 5d mkii, and most recently the c300 - their new $15k behemoth - and while they have ease of use in their favour I've really found the k-5 matches them for movie image quality and supercedes them for dynamic range and editing latitude (apart from the c300), so if you can get the k-5 to do what you want in the first place (which is always a challenge with shutter speed and ISO in movie mode, though the exposure compensation helps a great deal and I shoot with the settings AE locked) then you can get really good looking video.

09-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fun song and great video! High quality stuff there.
09-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

lol its a pretty cool and the video is really well-shot. It has style.