Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How helpful is focus peaking during video?

I've started playing around with shooting video with my K-5, and finding it hard to discern focus through the LCD. Would focus peaking be the best solution? I felt disappointed to see that the K-01 and K-30 do not support focus peaking during video.

I played around with a Sony alpha (a65) in my local big-box electronics store and it seemed really effective. But I could also imagine that shooting subjects that lack sharp edges might not always trigger the display. So, when shooting video, do you think that focus peaking is really awesome, only somewhat helpful, or just a niche trend?

10-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From my experience the focus peaking shows where the focus is very well, but it isn't 100% accurate in every way. For example, the DoF isn't shown perfectly. Peaking during video recording might be helpful, but it could also be a hindrance in some scenarios (where there are a lot of contrasty edges on the screen and everything seems to 'glow'). Then again, you can just turn it off with the Sony, I guess.
I don't do a lot of video, though. I primarily use peaking for fast manual focus lenses. My suggestion would be to check out some K-01 videos (there are a couple on youtube and some posted by users here). The Pentax primes are well-regarded for video and the lens can be the most important part of image quality.
10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
So, when shooting video, do you think that focus peaking is really awesome, only somewhat helpful, or just a niche trend?
I find focus peaking to be exceptionally helpful when shooting video.

I wouldn't necessarily regard it as a reason to purchase a Sony camera, though (which isn't to say there aren't other reasons). Canon slrs, used in conjunction with Magic Lantern's in-camera software and the Technicolor Cinestyle color profile (both of which are free, and available for even their lower-end cameras) are the most versatile slrs for shooting video.
10-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For more info on slr video, I would recommend visiting sites such as eoshd.com, cinema5d.com, and nofilmschool.com. as well as the sites of cinematographers such as Shane Hurlbut, Philip Bloom, and Vincenet La Foret. All of these resources have a great deal of information on the pros and cons of many different brands and models of slr for shooting video.

10-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah, Magic Lantern seems to have just what I was looking for! Focus peaking, full manual control, zebra striping, volume control, it's all there! I didn't even consider Magic Lantern in the past because I thought it was kinda destructive, I didn't realize it could be loaded along side the Canon firmware, and also removed, without much risk of bricking the unit. Wonder how it compares to the GH2 hack?

I would be neat if Pentax had a more open architecture, look what could be done, at no extra cost to the company. Guess it's time for me to be a dual-system user.

Thanks again.
10-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In fairness, I'm not sure if Canon is "open." I don't quite understand what that means. But Magic Lantern has always been referred to as a hack. Unfortunately, nobody is hacking Pentax, pretty much because they don't think there's enough demand. Magic lantern really is amazing, though. I have it on my 60D, and I love it. I have having 2 systems, though! I would much rather keep it all on Pentax!
10-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
i really dont get it why there is no focus peaking in video mode

10-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
i really dont get it why there is no focus peaking in video mode
Its probably because the processor cannot keep up with all of that. Or just a design fault. But probably the hardware.
10-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd say it's reflective Pentax's priorities -their actions have indicated that competing in the video arena has not been a high enough priority for them to dedicate resources to it.