Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

FNG syndrome

Hi there, just joined the forum after browsing for a few weeks and thought it right to say hello. My primary interest is shooting video on the 5D mkII with Russian lenses. So far I have:

Mir 10A
Mir 1B (yet to be delivered)
Jupiter 8 (waiting for m39 adapter to arrive)
Helios 44-2
Jupiter 9
Jupiter 11A
Jupiter 37A (yet to be delivered)

I also have:

Canon 35 - 70mm
Canon 50mm f1.8
Canon 75 - 300mm
Miranda 24mm
Prinzflex 28mm
Prinzflex 135mm
Prinzflex 200mm

Would love to hear from others shooting video with manual lenses. Thanks.

11-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Do you have any footage by now?
11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I shoot video with manual lenses, and I think it's the way to go. Good support is key, as well. And, if you really want your footage to stand out from what other people are doing, I would consider adding a matte box and follow focus. You know, to shoot like people shoot movies.
12-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #4

Haha, most people don't even know what a matte box is meant for Some people only use it to look more professional for their clients. And a follow focus won't help you if you don't own an external monitor as well, because telling perfect sharpness on the small 3" is a gamble But I would also be really interested in some samples with those russian lenses. What mount are they, m42?

12-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
Cheers guys. I have been shooting lots, but I'm not being modest when I say it's far below par upto now. I'll dig out a few shots and up them.

My matte box and follow focus arrived this week, funnily enough. Got a pretty decent dolly and jib too - I've been making films for a while it's just DSLR I'm new to. Yes all the Russian lenses are m42 - anybody have experience of a semi permanent solution for attaching the EOS adapter? It's a bit of a pain to have to tighten the lens before every follow focus take.
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #6

Original Poster

Might have labeled the shots wrong, but I'm sure these are the Russian lens tests. Straight off the mkII and exported as is from Premiere Pro CS6 using the Youtube HD 1080p 23.976 codec.
12-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
12-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosK3 Quote
And a follow focus won't help you if you don't own an external monitor as well, because telling perfect sharpness on the small 3" is a gamble
Fortunately, you are incorrect, if:

1. Redrocks is using Magic Lantern's focus peaking function.
2. Redrocks has a focus puller on hand.
3. Redrocks is able to pull focus for himself using hard marks.

Pulling focus using any kind of monitor has never been the 1st solution for most professionals.

I'll post a video here in a day or two (it is going in for sound design tomorrow) I shot using my M50 and M85, as well as my Samyang 24mm and 35mm, and my Tamron autofocus zoom. The stuff with the manual primes was all shot using a follow focus / focus puller / Magic Lantern. I can happily report that the follow focus was not useless.

12-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

By the way, Redrocks, your Washing Line clip looks lovely. It's super exciting to be able to use lenses from every era while shooting video. The creative possibilities are endless.
12-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks Fuent, looking forward to seeing your shots. I really do like the washing line shot myself - Helios 44-2 wide open ISO 1250 on a jib - will post more as I go along. I love these Russian models, they really do have their own character. I haven't used my Canon 50mm since I got my other lenses as I like the dark quality of the Helios / Jupiter. The focus and aperture ring are a godsend too. I haven't tried attaching gears to my Canon, but I imagine that it would be more trouble than it was worth.

Follow focus takes a bit of practice and there is obviously an ideal set up utilising all the tricks. If at all possible, I like to handle the pull myself using a combination of marks and the 15" LED tv (I find that the usual 7" models are only suitable for judging an actor's performance and are useless in terms of cinematography) I have attached to my sticks, a large part of the typical movie is shot at f2.8 - 4 anyway, which gives you a bit more latitude in terms of focus.

I've not gone through all the functions of Magic Lantern just yet - there are so many! Would love to see an uncompressed HDMI out function from them.
12-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Redrocks Quote
I've not gone through all the functions of Magic Lantern just yet - there are so many! Would love to see an uncompressed HDMI out function from them.
That would be sweet. I wonder if it is possible.

So you actually have a 15" t.v. attached to your sticks? That is craziness! Can you post a photo? I've never seen anyone work like that.

I also wouldn't trust any uncalibrated monitor in terms of judging the image.

Magic Lantern is great.

Which Canon 50mm do you have? I think you'd be pleasantly surprised with how well the lens gears work on autofocus lenses. I like to use them on my Tamron autofocus zoom, which has a very short focus throw. The old manual lenses have a much nicer focus throw, of course.
12-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
Apparently the mkIII is getting a firmware update in April that will unlock the raw HDMI. The official word from the Lantern guys is that it's unlikely the mkII will ever get this function, but stranger things have happened...

It's a 2.2kg tv running off a car battery with a power converter & solar trickle charger in the chain, but I find it better to work with than the LCD on the camera and it's just as difficult to handle as a regular monitor. Don't have an actual pic of me in action, but here are my 'sticks':

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/54088-redrocks/albums/6036-produc...ture52934.html

I have the f1.8 which is very bright compared to the Russian glass. The focus ring is flimsy (the lens itself is plastic) and I've read about wrapping an elastic band around the ring to aid attaching gears, but I doubt it would stay in place for long. Also, it would give me a headache in post trying to match the Canon with the Russian lenses.

Do you (or anyone else reading) have experience of lens repair? My Jupiter 8 doesn't focus for some reason. The barrel moves nice and the body seems to lengthen, but nothing happens optically and it is only in focus about 4 inches in front of the glass. It was a relatively inexpensive purchase, so I'm going to open it up and see what's going on inside when my lens spanner arrives. I have a few pdf's I found online, but they are for other Jupiters.
12-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Original Poster
- Jupiter 9 ISO 640 with a couple of ND filters. Colour corrected in AE.

- compressed original.
12-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Redrocks Quote
Do you (or anyone else reading) have experience of lens repair?
I had my M85/f2 repaired by Eric, and he did a great job. I don't know if he does non-Pentax stuff, though.